• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Natural Lube 1000+ and Wonder Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob J

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Roundball - I'm picking up from the other post because this may be off in a different direction. I use wonder lube patches, clean with soap and water after the shoot, then apply a coat of NON-PETROLEUM lubricant to the bore (Ballistol). Get good accuracy. I always run a dry patch or two down the bore prior to first shot to remove the Ballistol. Should there be enough lube on the wonder-lubed patch around the ball to lube the barrel for the first shot? Or, for the first shot, should I load as usual, then run a lightly wonder-lubed patch down the bore?

Roundball - I'm picking up from the other post because this may be off in a different direction. I use wonder lube patches, clean with soap and water after the shoot, then apply a coat of NON-PETROLEUM lubricant to the bore (Ballistol). Get good accuracy. I always run a dry patch or two down the bore prior to first shot to remove the Ballistol. Should there be enough lube on the wonder-lubed patch around the ball to lube the barrel for the first shot? Or, for the first shot, should I load as usual, then run a lightly wonder-lubed patch down the bore?

Well, I keep my bores lubed with natural lube and just seat a lubed patched ball when I'm ready to shoot...I don't add more lube after loading, seems to work fine

Roundball
I was wondering how do you lube your patches?
Do you put them in a microwave oven with lube then melt it into the patch ?
How much lube do you use for what amount of patches?
Just curious as to how others pre-lube their patches.

Woody

I think Roundball "nukes" his patches and NL1K.

I place a tube of NL1K into a pan of hot water for awhile to soften to a liquid, then pour/drizzle moderate amounts over layed-out pre-arranged patches in a rectangular tupperware container. Then I start working the lube into each patch by hand.

Then store them in ziploc bags.

:m2c:

Roundball
I was wondering how do you lube your patches?
Do you put them in a microwave oven with lube then melt it into the patch ?
How much lube do you use for what amount of patches?
Just curious as to how others pre-lube their patches.

Woody

I normally buy prelubed TC .018" pillow ticking patches.

I did buy 1000 .015" prelubed Oxyoke cotton patches at a gun show last year at a very low price knowing they'd be fine just for target loads at the range, but just recently discovered during extremely low humidity that they needed a little more lube, so I nuked a little more NL1000 into them...

Woodhick,
We too are curious as to how others prelube their patches.

Rebel sent us some that have a very consistent amount of lubricant from patch to patch. Perhaps he will chime in here.
Best Wishes

I pour a pie pan full of castor oil moose milk and slosh a strip of cotton through it. I lay the strips flat on wax paper to dry overnight. The next day I repeat. Then, I roll them up and store them in baggies or wax paper until I need them. In my pouch I carry a roll in a deerskin pouch that has been soaked in beewsax so it is "oil proof". They are dry enough to handle without getting much oil on your hands, but treated enough that they hold up in a ball block for more than a week without drying out excessively.

If I'm not rushed I add a drop more milk to the strip and rub it around with my thumb before cutting the patch at the muzzle. I can shoot consistant groups without needing to wipe all day with this added step, elsewise I need to wipe about every fifth shot (FFg powder).

Windwalker, those were some pre-lubed patches that i have had for years. Not sure who made them, or even the thickness, though i would guess it is .010"-.015".

Woodhick - Using a tub of Wonder Lube 1000, I scoop out a couple of spoonfulls into a non-stick pan (dedicated for this purpose) and slowly melt on very low heat. Turn off heat as soon as melted. Put in pre-cut pillow ticking patches and stir around. Squeeze out excess and lay patches out on folded paper towels (just like fried green tomatoes ::) then lightly pat excess lube out with another paper towel. Store in zip-loc bag. That's how I do it.

Ive always used the pre-lubed ones. I bought a cedar round cap box that I store them in. The bulk stays in my frig in a zip-lock. The cap box stays in my shooting pouch.

Every spring I use whats left over form the fall before. still wet and work great.

I purchase my REAL CONICALS from a gentleman that cast them and sells them on E bay,He goes by Black Jack Hill.I placed a order last year and he was kind enough to throw in some free patches if I choose to shoot RB at a later time.
I was out the other day and to my surprise my New Englander shot excellent with Hornady RB 230 grainers,85 grains of goex 3f all clover leaf group at the 50 yard target.
I then try the Renegade flinter in 54 also it seem it needed a tighter patch with the same RB and powder charge,my question I am looking at washed blue jeans material (have a lot of them around the house)
I would like to know if I can use 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 cut patches instead of round cut patches,I could also leave the material in 1 1/4 strips and cut them at the barrel when the ball is loaded.I would think precut patches is a lot quicker to have on hand allready lube.I also am going to try for the first time t/c 1000 wonderlube,my on lube is a 50/50 mix of beeswax,lard,and a table spoon of olive oil,seems to work excellent on my REALS but I here a lot of guy's talk about the t/c lube .

Back