• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MZ handgun hunting. What states allow it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I know that Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont allow muzzleloading handguns for deer hunting during their muzzleloading season. I wish that my home state of Massachusetts would do so, but fat chance of that in the land of the Kennedy's.

Anyways. What states off hand do you know that allow MZ handguns for big game, small game or non-game?

They're not allowed for deer in Pennsylvania. I didn't see anything in the regs that prohibits their use for small game though.

Illinois allowed muzzleloading handguns for deer until this past season. They are no longer allowed.
They were only permitted during Regular Firearm season and Late Season. Not during muzzleloading season.

Massachusetts
Hunting with Handguns
It is lawful to hunt birds and mammals in Massachusetts with a pistol or revolver of any caliber (including muzzle-loading pistols) and with a magazine capacity of any size, EXCEPT:

1. The hunting of deer with a pistol or revolver is PROHIBITED. Refer to M.G.L. c. 131, § 70 and 321 CMR 3.02(4)(b).

2. The hunting of wild turkey with a pistol or revolver is PROHIBITED. Refer to 321 CMR 3.02(9)(h).

3. The hunting of migratory game birds with a pistol or revolver is PROHIBITED. Refer to 321 CMR 3.02(e)2. and 50 CFR 20.21.

4. The hunting of gray squirrel with a pistol or revolver in wildlife management zones 10 through 14 is PROHIBITED. Refer to 321 CMR 3.02(7)(f).

5. Black bear may be hunted with handguns only during the September portion of the open season. The only handguns lawful for the hunting of black bear are the .357 Magnum revolver using .357 Magnum ammunition, and other revolvers chambered .40 caliber and larger. Refer to 321 CMR 3.02(1)(h).

6. On Wildlife Management Areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons, pistols and revolvers of any caliber are PROHIBITED, except for the use of pistols or revolvers chambered not large than .38 caliber for the hunting of raccoon and opossum between the hours of 9:00 P.M. to 3:00 A.M. Refer to 321 CMR 3.01(1)(m) and (o).

Don't you just love those exceptions?
CP

So...when you need a law degree to fully understand your states hunting regs, all hunters will be lawyers ??

MD DNR Rules - "...muzzleloading handguns may be used to hunt upland game (except dove and woodcock) and forest game (except turkey), woodchuck, fox, coyote, opossum, nutria, fisher, skunk and raccoon."
"Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer in all counties. Muzzleloading handguns used for deer hunting must be at least .40 caliber in size with a barrel length of at least 6 inches and use not less than 40 grains of black powder (or a black powder equivalent) and propel one all-lead, lead alloy or copper soft-nosed or expanding bullet or ball at a single discharge."

They're legal for anything except turkey and birds here in Missouri, as far as I know.

Vic

Wyoming allows the use of muzzleloading pistols during the firearms season (we don't have a statewide ML season). However, they are very specific about the firearm.

It must:
Be a single-shot
Have a 10 inch or longer barrel
Be 45 cal or larger
Fire at least a 240 grain bullet
Generate at least 500 foot-pounds of energy at 100 yards.

Needless to say, there aren't a whole lot of traditional muzzleloading pistols that meet these criteria, but since we don't have a special season anyway, it's kind of a moot point.

:thumbsup:

Michigan allows muzzleloading handguns for all deer seasons (except bow :rotf: ) without restrictions.

My state of Alabama allows MZ handgun Hunting.The weapon must be .40 caliber or larger.Deer,turkey,bobcat,groundhog,feral hog,etc and other game birds or animals and unprotected wildlife(exception-migratory birds not allowed). alabama DHR link :)

DavidS said:
Illinois allowed muzzleloading handguns for deer until this past season. They are no longer allowed.
They were only permitted during Regular Firearm season and Late Season. Not during muzzleloading season.

DavidS, Check your reg book. It's on page 13 under Late Winter/Legal Firearms. "muzzleloading handguns may also be used."
We can't use 'em during firearm season or muzzleloader season, but we can use 'em during Late Winter Antlerless Only season. :youcrazy:
The load has to make 500 ft/lb of muzzle energy "according to published ballistics tables of the manufacturer".
I studied up on the rule book and tried to get a doe with a .54 Lyman Plains Pistol this year. Didn't work out. Saw a couple of nice bucks. Couldn't find a doe.

Indiana allows M/L handgun for deer. Bullet must be .44 or larger. Barrel must be 12 inches or longer. For small game you can use anything; no limit on type of gun. I think I'll try my 45-70 on a Rabbit next season :rotf:

Florida allows them in general..but in some WMA's no handguns of any kind are allowed anytime.

Mississippi does NOT allow handguns during Muzzleloading season, However you can use them during regular deer season, and on small game

Juggernaut

I contacted Wisconsin DNR a few years ago and they said I could carry (outside my blaze orange because otherwise it would be a concealed weapon) as a secondary firearm only.

Strongarm......in WI anyone can go muzzleloading with a pistol providing the pistol loads at the muzzle, is 44 caliber or larger, fires ONE projectile weighing 138 gr or more and the barrel is 7" or longer. Nowhere in the WI regs does it specify that the pistol is a "secondary use only" firearm. This is a new change in the regs. Before this last season no BP pistols were legal to carry during the MZ season.

Regards, Vic

What you stated about wearing the pistol in full view or it's considered a concealed weapon is absolutely correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back