• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Weekend by little Jeffie age 48

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mediclimber

36 Cal.
Reaction score
First off, years ago, say the early 80's I got bit by the re-enacting bug which lad to a terrible muzzle loading and buckskinning fever. I was in a position at the time that I had disposable income even after my ex-wife went shopping. At any rate, I had tons of gear and guns and played in the area. I had permissions from local farmers to hunt their property in traditional garb too. I can only guess what other hunters thought when they saw me come over a hill in buck skins and capote on rawhide snowshoes. At any rate, things change, companies downsize and relationships crumble. I spent the last 15 years working and working, and, did I say working? At this point in my life, for whatever reason, I found the remnants of my black powder arms and gear. The bug bit again. I've been not so slowly replacing stuff and re-reading everything I can get my grubby hands on. I've been to one local indoor rendezvous and might as well camp in Dixon's parking lot on my days off. Last week, my one friend invited me to check out the hunting and fishing club he belongs to in Sullivan County. I drug my CVA Mountain Rifle and pistol along to have some fun and see if I rememberd how to shoot. Well, lo cut this short, I am joining the club and shot at least 30 ball at targets 50 to 75 yards out and fell in love with it all over again. I really cann't describe how good it felt to be standing out in the middle of the mountains, chilly and windy, shooting at targets. I did pretty good and kept the groups under three inches. The other people there had a blast too as I let them each shoot if they wanted. My one friend found out he is a natural for hawk throwing and can stick every time. I said something about maybe putting a teepee down by one of the streams and everyone jumped on it like it was the best idea they had ever heard. I now have four deer skins to use to make my pants and more on the way. Seems everyone there is starting to get into black powder to the point that they plan on organizing club hunts this season more than they have done in the past. I gotta say that this past weekend was a shot in the arm for me as I didn't have a care in the world and had nothing but fun. Even chased some porcupines and nabbed some quills with my hat. I cann't wait to get back up there and make some more noise, smoke, and holes. :thumbsup:

Seems everyone there is starting to get into black powder to the point that they plan on organizing club hunts this season more than they have done in the past.

:thumbsup:

I understand and share in your joy.I too got hooked on Black in '84. Wouldn't have anything to do with modern stuff. Then the Left took over and I bailed out. Sold all my stuff but,thank God, kept the custom Plains Rifle. For 12 years I spent thousands of dollars on gas guns,heavy bolt guns,optics, rangefinders and so on.Last year I realized that all that stuff did was make me a worse hunter and I enjoyed my trips in the outdoors less and less. Now all of that means nothing! I have returned to Muzzleloading and I am no longer constipated!!Welcome back and enjoy life again!! Meathead

Slake said:
What's a gas gun?
I don't know what his version is, but Mine would be a Girandoni or some such. I wish I could afford one - or even a repro.

Lewis and Clark carried a 1780s Girandoni Side Lock, 20 shot .46 Air Gun with them.

See:[url] http://www.beemans.net/lewis assault rifle.htm[/url]

Maybe not a muzzle loader, but way cooler than any inline or cartridge gun.
Lots of good stuff on Side Lock Air Guns... :shocked2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gas gun=Gas operated self loading firearms(AR-15,AR-10)soon to be allowed in primitive hunts as the design dates back to the 1930's :shocked2: Meathead

Latest posts

Back