• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Sow's Ear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poco47

32 Cal.
Reaction score
As a newcomer and someone not near as talented as some of the folks who post on here, I've been a bit hesitant to post on this forum. But, the recent thread about one feller's Jukar pistol has prompted me to share a few pictures of mine. It was a recent gift from a friend who put it together from a kit many years ago. A flinter, it sported all sorts of tacks, had a browned barrel and a stock that was covered a faded mustard brown finish.

I let it sit for about a month while I basked in the joy of having received such a gift, then I got to thinking what I might do to make it mine. I rummaged through my shop and managed to find a bottle of alcohol-based military stock stain with about eight drops left in it. Fortunately, it was just for one good coat. Four hand rubbed coats of BLO provided the finish. There wasn't much I could do about the holes and indentations the tacks left in the wood though I did my best to try and steam them out to no avail. So, I replaced them with some smaller ones out of the meager few I had left in my stash.

On the whole, I think it came out ok. I've been going through a dry spell when it comes to scratching up metal so, if nothing else, this exercise helped me ease my way back up to speed again.

Here's the pictures:

The wood came out a nice color and you've got quite the talent for 'scratching the metal'.

It looks nice & now the next step is to take it out for some range time :thumbsup:

I'd agree. They might tear up your hand. Since the holes are there in lines, and you obviously have some talent with metal, to say the least, why not make the holes into channels and put in wire inlays?

Whatever you decide, however, you've made a sow's ear into a silk purse indeed. :thumbsup:

necchi said:
Photoshop. The trigger guard and front of the ramrod gives it away.

Why don't you give more examples? Like in what way? Just saying the trigger guard and ramrod gives it away doesn't say anything.

Ok,
When was the last time you saw a round barrel on a Jukar? (A Jukar, not one like it, a Jukar)
The color of the brass around the engraving on the TG isn't the same as the rest of it. (and it's not the lighting)
When have you ever seen "burl" as seen near the muzzle of this on a Jukar?
Look carefully about two inches back on the ramrod,, there's a seam that doesn't exist,, and the clarity/focus changes, that's from the cut/crop/paste of the fore section of the pistol and adding back the ramrod.
I'm all for supporting nice work and maybe, just maybe some was done here,, but it's mostly nice keyboard work with a photo program.
Call me bad,,

Kinda looks like one of them "Tower Pistols" that used to be in the CVA catalogs way back in the 70's.

OK, I'll buy that.
Then the Butt cap different and those ramrod thimbles are for a different style gun.
The hole in the thimbles is for a screwdriver to access a screw that turns into a rail on the spanish rifles.
The thimbles on the pictured style pistol are indeed screwed on but from inside through the bottom channel. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/290077/post/last/m/1/ https://www.google.com/search?q=ju...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&tbm
Things just don't jive, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
necchi I know wayyyyy too little about such things to say one way or the other.

So just commenting on what I DO & Don't see

Photo #3 do see trigger Guard don't see any shadow of it. :hmm: seems like if the shadow of the stock is just below the stock there should be some shadow of the trigger guard & trigger? :idunno:

Well, I am a bit stunned over the photo analysis the pictures of this project have been subjected to. Reading the skeptical posts makes you want to shake your head and chuckle. Let me assure you, this is not a photoshop creation. The pistol does in fact exist as portrayed in the include pictures which I shot with my Nikon D-80 under a homemade light tent. It took two sessions as the light sensor in the camera is out of whack and the first batch was over-exposed.

I too thought that 28 tacks were a bit much but there wasn't much I could do to fix that. Steaming a stock can only do so much when raising dents and the holes were still present. I did think of inlaying some wire and even went so far as to include it in an order but it was out of stock. So I took that as a sign that I was trying to go too far. Instead, I went back to simple stuff and just replaced the tacks--which orginally included several cone heads and a few larger diameter round heads--with the few smaller diameter ones I happened to have on hand. Now, at least, they are not as obnoxious when you grip the pistol. Sometimes you just have to accept that a thing is what it is.

Wanting to assuage my curiousity, I've been looking through my collection of back issues of muzzleloading publications and I was able to find it listed in 1981 as a CVA Tower pistol.

Thanks all for the feed back.

I have two Jukar pistols, both the same basic style as this one, but percussion. One is a round barrel. The other is an octagon to round barrel.

And they are both supposed to be tower pistols but have different thimbles on them. The holes in the thimbles allow access to the screws that hold the stock to the barrel on one of the two guns. The other gun uses the front brass piece to attach the stock.

Don't expect consistency in parts from Jukar. They changed things all the time.

Check my two pistols in this thread...

Link

Slowgo, assuming the tacks have been there for quite awhile, does the wood "protected" by the tacks react differently than the wood which has been exposed all these years? Does it accept or repel dye and/or oil differently?

Whoever comes up with a good way to fill tack holes in a gunstock or tomahawk or knife handle or whatever else is gonna become a multidollaraire practically overnight!

Latest posts

Back