• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My round ball has a tit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thWisCoG

32 Cal
Reaction score
Casting some 0.454 round balls with a Lyman mold and they end up having a raised up flat spot where the sprue hole is, i.e a "tit"... I will shooting these in a Pietta 1860 Army 0.44... will the tit have any affect on performance, and do I load tit up or tit down, or other...

the rammer on you pietta will mash out most of it if you used nice soft lead.

It sounds like that "tit" is the sprue. That's normal for Lyman moulds as well as a lot of others. Most people load with the sprue up and centered, for consistency. I don't think it really affects the flight of the bullet much, but consistency is the key to accuracy.

I read somewhere, long ago, that when Colt started marketing their revolvers, they also made and sold moulds to fit them. I don't know if Colt invented the pivoting sprue-cutter, but it was well received by the shooting public and Colt sold a lot of moulds. I remember reading that rifles were sometimes made in calibers to use the balls cast from these moulds. Most of the handmade bullet moulds back then were of the "pliers" or "pincers" configuration, and the sprue had to be whittled off with a knife or some other sort of cutter. Balls for the military were tumbled to obliterate the sprue. I have heard of people rolling balls between heavy steel plates to remove the sprue also. The Colt moulds with their pivoting sprue-cutters were a great innovation and time-saver.

As noted, Lyman moulds leave a projection, or sprue. Lee moulds make a tangential cut, which leaves a little flat spot but no projection. I believe Moose Moulds can be ordered with the cutter configured either way. In any event, the sprue is normal, and won't hurt anything.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Lyman molds do that. It doesn't make a difference if the sprue is centred when you load. I roll my cast ball between a pair of marble plates to round them up; but that's only because I have the plates, and it only takes a couple of minutes to do as many as I cast at a time.

Tits up tits down, I like both. Usually I go tits down. Sometimes I go both ways, :rolleyes:
Sounds like you and your wife are having way too much fun! Of course, what else is there to do in Idaho?LOL
(I'm afraid with all this talk of tits and rammers on your Pietta, Zonie may shut us down).o_O

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back