• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My rifle....finally finished!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
So as i posted a week ago my rifle was nearing completion....and its finally come full circle! Id like to think that it looks every bit as nice as the next rifle....and again thank you to sleeperny for an outstanding job!
dsc0008i.JPG

Bryon said:
So as i posted a week ago my rifle was nearing completion....and its finally come full circle! Id like to think that it looks every bit as nice as the next rifle....and again thank you to sleeperny for an outstanding job!
dsc0008i.JPG

Very nice finish, really impressed with the color. It has a ton of figure in especially in the butt of the stock. All and all it looks very nice in the pic! I don't know why you guys don't do a centerfold pin up for pics!:shocked2: You know a shot from every angle there is just not enough pic with just one!:wink:

Some more info might be nice. What caliber and is it a kit and who made the kit if it is one!

ok ok ...so heres a few more pics as requested....I kinda got a little creative (IE: showy) with some other pretty things lol. So the rifle stated life as a full custom assemblage of parts. This rifle was started years ago by a local gunsmith by the name of James Tawney who was very well known in our area as a high quality builder of guns. this rifle was started for a customer and never finished. now fast forward 20 ish years....to the day i came across these rifles sitting in the corner. Must have been at least a dozen....and pistols too! I worked up a deal witht he owner of the gun store (Joe Seeley) that is i sold the guns i could ahe my pick of one . guns were sold...i got this rifle. now for ther specs:
its a .45 cal ohio style rifle
The barrel is a very heavy 15/16 diam 32" long, has 7 lands and grooves.
The lock is marked DGW? (no idea there) and is the traditional flat mainspring....and its shiny!
The stock from what i can tell is an amzing piece of either claro...or bastogne walnut. It has a double set trigger marked "roller 83" (again i ahve no idea about it) with a nice crisp release. All the hardware is nickel silver...with some nice inlay in the nose cap. The ramrod is pushing 25years old....and im not about to see how strong it is . so heres the pics! Again i would like to give a HUGE thanks to SLEEPERNY for his outstanding work bringing this rifle to life...It definatley would not be in its current state without him

dsc0012en.jpg
dsc0011pcd.jpg
dsc0010tw.jpg
dsc0009fa.jpg
dsc0007jk.jpg
dsc0006yq.jpg
dsc0020esv.jpg
dsc0016br.jpg
dsc0013zc.jpg

That don't look like yer first trip around the block. Very nice and like the others I like the wood :thumbsup: ...Bud

Bryon said:
ok ok ...so heres a few more pics as requested....I kinda got a little creative (IE: showy) with some other pretty things lol. So the rifle stated life as a full custom assemblage of parts. This rifle was started years ago by a local gunsmith by the name of James Tawney who was very well known in our area as a high quality builder of guns. this rifle was started for a customer and never finished. now fast forward 20 ish years....to the day i came across these rifles sitting in the corner. Must have been at least a dozen....and pistols too! I worked up a deal witht he owner of the gun store (Joe Seeley) that is i sold the guns i could ahe my pick of one . guns were sold...i got this rifle. now for ther specs:
its a .45 cal ohio style rifle
The barrel is a very heavy 15/16 diam 32" long, has 7 lands and grooves.
The lock is marked DGW? (no idea there) and is the traditional flat mainspring....and its shiny!
The stock from what i can tell is an amzing piece of either claro...or bastogne walnut. It has a double set trigger marked "roller 83" (again i ahve no idea about it) with a nice crisp release. All the hardware is nickel silver...with some nice inlay in the nose cap. The ramrod is pushing 25years old....and im not about to see how strong it is . so heres the pics! Again i would like to give a HUGE thanks to SLEEPERNY for his outstanding work bringing this rifle to life...It definatley would not be in its current state without him

dsc0012en.jpg

dsc0011pcd.jpg

dsc0006yq.jpg

Ok thanks for the info and the pics, I saw some details in the pics that I was unable to see in the originals like the bands on the nose cap!

There are some great detail in all the other photos as well. The figure in the stock caught my eye right away. My father cut down a bunch of black walnut from our property when I was in the service and it had a lot of figure in it!

One question the fore-stock appear shorter than normal is that something you requested or was it that way when you discovered the rifle?

Anyway a great find and a great finished product I bet they still haven't been able wipe that smile off of your face. :bow:

Next thing we expect a range report from you!

the forend is a bit short...good eye! I found the rifle like that ...my assumption is that that is the style of the ohio rifle? Believe me ive been playing with the rifle and i have to say....after you get used to it being so short, its actually quite comfortable! this is actually the best fitting rifle i own now....oh and just to give credit where its due......that pistol in the pics was restocked by SleeperNY as well

Glad it has turned out so well for you. Sometimes you just pic up one that fits so well it couldn't have been made any better if it was personally fitted to you.

My dad had an ole 1897 Winchester pump shotgun that belonged to his father. If I was in a t-shirt it was good but in the winter with a jacket I had to learn to throw it out away from me to shoulder it. That's one that every time I think of it I hate it got away!(Still in the family as far as I know but, I didn't get that one)!:cursing:

The short stock out to be all you need if you shoot freehand like most. Me I like to to throw my hand out a little further than the average fellow. So it might take a little getting use to for me but, don't suspect your going to send it my way for a try out anyway! :idunno: :shake: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Still waiting on that range report! :wink:

Back