• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My rabbit hunt.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For rabbiting when there is a R in the months good sport can be obtained walking up with a couple of spaniels in rough cover of bracken , whinny , and gorse, For a more leisure day a days ferreting rabbits with out nets can be good sport if they bolt OK ,only trouble with this type is loading the gun quick enough and not to make a mistake on loading .
Feltwad

Last edited:
For rabbiting when there is a R in the months good sport can be obtained walking up with a couple of spaniels in rough cover of bracken , whinny , and gorse, For a more leisure day a days ferreting rabbits with out nets can be good sport if they bolt OK ,only trouble with this type is loading the gun quick enough and not to make a mistake on loading .
Feltwad
I need some translation on this.
ferreting,? nets ? if they bolt ok???
bracken, whinny (?) gorse different ground covers I assume.

Help me understand how you were able to put multiple shot balls in your rifle. Or am I just misunderstanding and you really put one ball in at the time. Which rifle do you have that allowed multiple balls and his do you make them stay in the barrel? Good job in the rabbits! I don’t hunt them in Colorado due to a disease that’s taking over the population. Bummer
Is that still going around? I know 6 years ago the north western region of Colorado took a big hit in the rabbit population, along with populations along the Colorado front range. I think it was a mix of Tularemia and some sort of Rabbit Fever.

I was really hoping that they’d be on the recovery end by now….

I tried this in my 50 cal flintlock rifle today.....I hit nothing lol. Not surprised really

In a rifle I would not load more than two full size ball Pete.
I tried 6x.375 and 4x.458 over 50gn 2f. I've used an ounce of size 4 shot over 50gn before and it was surprisingly useful out to 15m. I really need to make it a smoothbore

That is a big rabbit , we have the same species here in New Zealand and also in Australia . They were released for the fur/meat trade by early settlers and with no natural predators , soon became a pest . They swarmed over certain parts of the country in their hundreds of thousands . Rabbit boards were set up to control the numbers which in some cases forced farmers off their land . They were shot , poisoned with arsenic and cyanide gas ,1080 coated carrots dropped from the air . They were even even blown up in their burrows with acetylene gas . Lately Calici virus has been introduced , but they still survive , so we have no seasons or limits on numbers or firearms caliber .

That is a big rabbit , we have the same species here in New Zealand and also in Australia . They were released for the fur/meat trade by early settlers and with no natural predators , soon became a pest . They swarmed over certain parts of the country in their hundreds of thousands . Rabbit boards were set up to control the numbers which in some cases forced farmers off their land . They were shot , poisoned with arsenic and cyanide gas ,1080 coated carrots dropped from the air . They were even even blown up in their burrows with acetylene gas . Lately Calici virus has been introduced , but they still survive , so we have no seasons or limits on numbers or firearms caliber .
We used to have a skin trade for them,but now you can't sell.wild skins for akubras 😒😒😒

Back