• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My rabbit hunt.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On my own. Wanted some time out, peace and quiet, no distractions. Even left Jess at home.
I took my trusty .45 with me and dropped five .36" balls down it.
20220219_134613.jpg

Can't load a single .445" or even two but for some bizarre reason five .36" is fine with the law 🤔.
I missed #1 rabbit after a good stalk. I forgot to draw a fine bead.
The second stalk was a successful 30yd shot.
20220219_170440.jpg

One of the balls was in the timber behind the rabbit.
20220219_170611.jpg

Rabbit #3 on near dark was a blessing. I was watching two at 50yds when this one pops out of cover at thirty yards. When it stuck its neck out I took the shot.
20220219_173558.jpg

A grand afternoon alone, peace and quiet. Blissful.

Well done sir, you definitely have some odd laws in the UK. I want to get back some day to hunt Roe again, just wish I could use a BP

What’s the Brit version of stewed rabbit. In my teen years in the past century I worked in a bakery. One of the owners was a rabbit hunter, Cincinnati Ohio.
Of German decent he would save up the entire seasons worth of rabbits and in late winter would make a large, very large wedding cake pan of a stewed rabbit dish called Hasenpfeffer. The 12 person crew in that bakery had a very fine lunch on that day.
Years later a local Eagles organization would hold a public dinner that focused on rabbit dishes. All of the farm raised for meat variety but very tasty just the same.
BTW those look like very large rabbits. Bigger and heavier than the New England version.

Very good on the rabbits.

Do you use a filler or buffer (or shot cup) to keep the .36 balls from careening around in the barrel when shot?

On my own. Wanted some time out, peace and quiet, no distractions. Even left Jess at home.
I took my trusty .45 with me and dropped five .36" balls down it.
View attachment 123103
Can't load a single .445" or even two but for some bizarre reason five .36" is fine with the law 🤔.
I missed #1 rabbit after a good stalk. I forgot to draw a fine bead.
The second stalk was a successful 30yd shot.
View attachment 123104
One of the balls was in the timber behind the rabbit.
View attachment 123105
Rabbit #3 on near dark was a blessing. I was watching two at 50yds when this one pops out of cover at thirty yards. When it stuck its neck out I took the shot.
View attachment 123107
A grand afternoon alone, peace and quiet. Blissful.
View attachment 123108
How do Brits cook their rabbit? I love rabbit stew. I used to hunt rabbit, but when in someone's infinite wisdom said we need to reintroduce coyotes, bunnies here are rare to find as hen's teeth.

Last edited:
What’s the Brit version of stewed rabbit. In my teen years in the past century I worked in a bakery. One of the owners was a rabbit hunter, Cincinnati Ohio.
Of German decent he would save up the entire seasons worth of rabbits and in late winter would make a large, very large wedding cake pan of a stewed rabbit dish called Hasenpfeffer. The 12 person crew in that bakery had a very fine lunch on that day.
Years later a local Eagles organization would hold a public dinner that focused on rabbit dishes. All of the farm raised for meat variety but very tasty just the same.
BTW those look like very large rabbits. Bigger and heavier than the New England version.
I like to dice the meat, shallow fry in black pepper, onion and peppers. Add herbs, maybe a little garlic. Simmer and make a sauce.
I kind of make it as I go to be honest.
Goulashing rabbit in a pressure cooker is good to.

Interesting load. Gotta get me a small calibre smoothbore one day. Have you ever shot single PRB in it ?

Interesting load. Gotta get me a small calibre smoothbore one day. Have you ever shot single PRB in it ?
Yes Pete I have shot a single ball. Two work well too.
However, an individual that lives north east of me complained to his chief constable who got in touch with my firearms department who then got in touch with me.
They assured me I can not do that.
I asked why, they said this and that, I said this and that, they pulled rank on me so I was forced to make a decision.
So in the interests of safety I don't shoot a single ball, I shoot five instead. Oh, and in all the areas I shot 308, 6.5, 243 etcetera etcetera.
Welcome to Britain and British mard areses!

Yes Pete I have shot a single ball. Two work well too.
However, an individual that lives north east of me complained to his chief constable who got in touch with my firearms department who then got in touch with me.
They assured me I can not do that.
I asked why, they said this and that, I said this and that, they pulled rank on me so I was forced to make a decision.
So in the interests of safety I don't shoot a single ball, I shoot five instead. Oh, and in all the areas I shot 308, 6.5, 243 etcetera etcetera.
Welcome to Britain and British mard areses!
I would be curious as to how well it shot with PRB?

Back