• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rabbit Hunt Cut Short

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was out yesterday along a river bottom to hunt cottontails with my .32 cal Crockett pistol.
Injured Owl 031.JPG

It was pretty warm yesterday so I was killing time waiting for evening when the rabbits would start moving. There's a lone paper birch I always stop by at this location. They're not common here.
Injured Owl 017.JPG

I put the pistol next to this leg bone for scale.
Injured Owl 023.JPG

With about two hours of light left it was finally starting to cool down. The rabbits should start moving. I spotted one and managed to miss an extremely easy shot. I kept moving through cover and walked up on this great horned owl on the ground about 15 feet from me. I pulled my camera out quickly, hoping to get a picture before it flew off. I took a few pics but it didn't fly.
Injured Owl 065.JPG

I took a couple steps toward it and it "flared" up. I didn't see it sitting on prey so I thought it might be injured. Waterfowl season just opened so I thought someone may have accidentally shot it. My phone (along with hunting regs that contain Fish, Wildlife and Parks phone numbers) was in my vehicle about a half mile away. I decided to forget about hunting and try to call someone that could help the bird.
Injured Owl 070.JPG

Of course when I got to my vehicle all the FWP offices were already closed. I left messages then went to a house some FWP personnel stay at nearby. No one was at the house. This morning FWP contacted me and put me in touch with a local raptor rescue. I met one of their volunteers and we went to look for the owl.

We went to the spot where I saw the owl but it wasn't there. We covered the area pretty thoroughly and didn't find the owl or any feathers. He did say that occasionally an owl will eat so much that it can't fly. Hopefully that's all that was wrong with it. I felt bad dragging him out there for nothing but he was understanding, hopeful that the owl was okay and said he enjoyed the walk.

I should add that the easy shot at a rabbit that I missed kept bugging me. By the time I'd finished trying to find help for the owl it was starting to get dark. I had to clean the gun when i got home so I decided to fire it to make sure I was on.

I held on the rabbits eye when I shot so I drew a rabbit eye size dot on a piece of paper. I put the target at about the same distance the shot I missed was. I wasn't dead on but if I would have shot like this at the rabbit it would have been dinner.
Injured Owl 088.JPG

Back