• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My once owned 50-90 Sharps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I HAVE CORRECTED THIS POSTS DELEATING THE WRONG IMAGES. I sold this several years ago.
The gentleman is going to sell it back to me. It's a reproduction 1874 Sharps 50-90 Cal. with a 32 inch barrel. Interesting NO Stamps or manufactor markings on the rifle. What are your opinions on this. Are there many hand built modern reproduction Sharps out there with no builders stamps?
Salt River Johnny

Attachments

• received_827991008751903.jpeg
    received_827991008751903.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
IAB kit from Cape Outfitters? They were in shotgun news around 1990. Looks like percussion not 50-90 cartridge. I was cautioned against buying an IAB percussion gun due to quality issues.

I have no clue what you have.

To me it has the air of a hand-made piece. Every Italian or Spanish-made firearm must, by national law, be subjected to gun proof. The ultra-heavy barrel and general air of 'hand-made-ness' of this rifle, all says home- or kit-built to me.

Edit - the post above, offering the thought that it might have been made from a kit, would explain the lack of proof marks, or even manufacturer's details.

Last edited:
IAB kit from Cape Outfitters? They were in shotgun news around 1990. Looks like percussion not 50-90 cartridge. I was cautioned against buying an IAB percussion gun due to quality issues.

I have no clue what you have.
That is definitely a percussion breech.

I like Sharps (or Sharpses?), but I don’t know much about the imported ones.

I would agree, you have a percussion rifle. .50-90 is a cartridge with a brass case.

Sharps sporting rifles with a single trigger seem less common than those with double set triggers, although if the tumbler has a fly, you could probably tune the lock for a nice let-off.

@Phil Coffins is your man for expert opinions on Sharps rifles. You might send him a PM, or maybe he will comment here and educate all of us.

It is a handsome rifle.

Notchy Bob

Notchy Bob is too kind. I’m a bit confused by the photos as one has a #3 heavy barrel on an 74 action and the other has a military contour barrel on a percussion action.

Your all correct . It has been 5 years since I sold this. I posted wrong photos from another rifle. Been a long week. Apologies. It is a 1874 Sporting rifle style The caliber I will have to check and see. It is really a nice rifle. Thank you Phil Coffins
Salt River Johnny

Last edited:
Back