• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Oklahoma Hog Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since 2000 we have owned 80 acres north of Elmore City, OK. Never saw a hog track until about 2007. Now the area is overrun with wild hogs. i attempt to kill little pigs before they become hogs.

There's a feeder where i shoot little pigs from a tree stand about 35 yards away. Last year i killed about 45 little pigs and several adults. there. The ones i missed last year are back with their offspring this year.

STC_1054.JPG

They're all over the place. I bow hunt alot at McGee creek wildlife management area. Hogs are everywhere on that property. Late last season I missed a shot on a big boar one afternoon.

Sorry N.Y. man , but 5 or 6 hunters ain't even going to dent the numbers !! Even if you hunt for a week solid !!! HOWEVER !! Would be a week of pure hog heaven for everyone involved !! Good luck with your endeavor !!

Tannerite is the answer you are looking for...

Put a half pound on the bottom side of a five gallon bucket full of water suspended over your baited hole.

Close is good enough, but the more hogs more or less under it is more better.

You are basicly making a water impulse charge that will focus the blast down and laterally. The ones under and near will be mashed into the ground, the ones in a 30 foot radius will have their insides scrabbled. You will find them the next day scattered around within a 100 yards or so.

Buy more than one bucket, you will need a new one each time...

It’s fun and effective!

Last edited:
It's too bad that there are no natural controls for hogs that aren't dangerous or pests for humans like a bacterium that only affects Sus species.

Since 2000 we have owned 80 acres north of Elmore City, OK. Never saw a hog track until about 2007. Now the area is overrun with wild hogs. i attempt to kill little pigs before they become hogs.

There's a feeder where i shoot little pigs from a tree stand about 35 yards away. Last year i killed about 45 little pigs and several adults. there. The ones i missed last year are back with their offspring this year.

View attachment 73543

What do you do with the hogs after they are shot?It would be impossible to eat that many.
Looks like you would have to either leave them lay or dump them in a ditch somewhere.

Once guy gets into serious hog shooting, you just can't find enough people that want the dead ones. If a guy would clean, skin and do a good job of cooking one up on a smoker, someone will want it.....but most just don't want to have to do their own cleaning and processing. I've dumped hundreds of them over the years as I just can't/and don't want to have to process all the dead hogs to give away. It's sort of like giving fish away....people want the meat in filet form or generally not at all ! This is a pic from my old bone pile where the critters come to eat and drag away a lot of the bones......
IMG_1904[2925].JPG

Those dead hogs will keep an entire ecosystem fed, from vultures to kites to crows to weasels to coyotes to foxes to dung beetles to worms to etc. Nothing goes to waste in nature, as long as the stench of decomposition isn't bothering anyone.

Back