• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new smoothbore pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goose

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I acquired this pistol about 2 weeks ago from TOW. It is a .60 smoothbore marked M.A. Taylor, Sheffield on the top of the barrel. This is my first muzzle loading handgun and my first smoothbore.

I had a Lee .60 ball mold so I cast a bunch in anticipation, but they were too big. I bought a bag of .595 balls to see how they would fit and they are just right with a .010 patch. It was finally nice enough and I had some time to get to the range the other day. I loaded it up with 50 grains of Goex 2F. I had no idea what to expect. A smoothbore with no rear sight was just totally new to me. I wanted to try it out at 20 feet or so, but some recent rains followed by freezing temps had frozen the target stand to the ground at 50 feet. So I put up a 8" Shoot N C and gave it a whirl. I fired a couple of shots just to get the feel then swabbed out the bore and shot the 5 shot group below. I don't know if this is good or not, but I think with a little work it can get a lot better. Man, what a hoot!!

Awesome! I've never shot a flintlock pistol but imagine it is a thrill, beautiful gun as well and a thumper in that caliber :thumbsup:

I have been looking at the ToW pistols for some time. A lot of nice looking ones, including this one, flow through there. :thumbsup:

I don't have a blackpowder handgun yet...but have a Chambers kit in .54 sitting in the build queue. If I hit that well at 50 feet with my first few shots I will be quite happy!

That is a very nice pistol, well suited to deal with any "footpad" you might encounter in your travels. And, it shows promising accuracy. That is a very good first effort. A good buy. :thumbsup:

Like it! And at 50 feet that's really pretty good especially under the circumstances.

The maker of you pistol, Maurice Taylor, now lives in New Zealand. At one time quite a prolific gun maker, but I'm not sure if he is still making. Just a bit of information!

simon said:
The maker of you pistol, Maurice Taylor, now lives in New Zealand. At one time quite a prolific gun maker, but I'm not sure if he is still making. Just a bit of information!

Thank you so much for that info.

Good lookin' pistol. Good shootin' too, especially for the first time out.
I'd try a lot less powder tho. That's a pretty stout load for paper. See how it does with about 20-30 grains.

Latest posts

Back