• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I call that view " The Complaint Dept"
...just speak into the funnel please.

Alden...I used to have one exactly like yours!
I am sorry I let it slip away........
Aint No way I'm gonna load this 4 bore with a stout load,,,,,,,a normal 12 load will work fine fer me !

I picked up a BB some years ago. 12 gauge and a 14 inch barrel. It is, as already noted, a hoot to shoot. The most remarkable part of that is the short barrel. When the thing fires, it is all right THERE, in front of your nose.
Don't be surprised if the gun patterns tighter than you expect. I have only patterned mine with buckshot at 10 yards and the pattern was about the size of my wide open hand, maybe a bit larger.... about what you would expect at 10 yards from a cylinder choked gun.
Contrary to popular belief, the bell does not affect pattern size; its function is to make the thing easier to load on a platform that may be moving, like a stagecoach in the borderlands of Scotland or on the deck of a ship.
Pete

I found one 8-10 years ago advertised for 125.00.I loaded it up with around 200 grains or more of powder and a few buckeyes. Used one hand, pointed it straight up and pulled the trigger. :mecrazy:When it went off it was trust downward twisting with my finger in the trigger guard. :shocked2: My right hand was sore for a long time. One of the reasons I'm called
Nit Wit :doh: :doh:

:blah: hahahaha....I once fired both barrels of an antique front stuffing WH HAMILTON 12 ga at once...

* * *wont do That again * * *

Agree, they can surprise u.
401340171.jpg

Mine came with a customized grenade sight that mounts to it and a slug mould for shooting longer ranges for a hoot.
401340260.jpg

Nothing like pulling it out and setting up on the bench at the gun range!
8c70cb3e.jpg

Those are very cool. Can you even buy these new or in kit form now days? I just ordered a rifle kit, but one of these looks like it would be fun some day.

I the mid to late sixties, I built a number of these from Dixie kits. I was selling them as fast as I could build them. I stamped the barrels with 'Woodside'.
A real nasty load is one 1/4 pound box of carpet tacks. During this time, I had visited the Netherlands, and discovered Blundebusses were still in use as trespasser deterrents. They were set up in wee dog house looking enclosures with three trip wires, and loaded with tacks. The tacks were considered to be non lethal loads.
Woody

Latest posts

Back