• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just scored this Fine Dixie Gunworks Belgian Blunderbuss !!!!!!!! OH HAPPY DAY !!!!
I have only seen them in my old 1973 Dixie catalogue...never at any gunshows or any online auctions...quite Rare bird !
It is 27" long, barrel is 13.5 inches,,,bore measures .95 which makes it a 4 1/2 bore.
The case hardened frizzen has not been struck.
The barrel is stamped with the Belgian ELG
proofmark.
From my research it is " supposed to" be capable of firing a load of 4 oz shot backed by 200 grains of powder...I will Never load that heavy...
I will probably shoot a normal 12 guage load...
....All in All ...I am very HAPPY !!!!!
I always said that if I Ever run into one of these for sale its gonna be mine!!!!!
the Dream came true.

Yea Brit ! and the Bell is 2" diameter...
just imagine a 400 grain load of shot ! ! !
OMG ! If I load as a 12 gage it will be a " short" shot column which will make the pattern spread like CRAZY! 8 FEET AT 25 YDS !!! would surley Clear THE DECK ! ARGH

scalper said:
OMG ! If I load as a 12 gage it will be a " short" shot column which will make the pattern spread like CRAZY! 8 FEET AT 25 YDS !!! would surley Clear THE DECK ! ARGH

Just imagine you said.....that is where you are going wrong friend :grin: Your letting your imagination run away with you, it won't hurt a bit....make sure you film it won't ya' :hatsoff:

B :grin:

scalper said:

Work on your math. The top end load (and you have to approach it at least once, or you're not allowed to keep it) is almost 1750 grains of shot!
Take pictures of the target; we'll want to see it.

And I'll go ahead and ask... how much did your new shoulder whacker cost?

Found one of these at a garage sale a number of years back for a hundred bucks.Its fun to shoot with a load of 80 grains and a half dozen 36 cal balls we didn't touch the paper at 25 yrds but still wouldn't want to be down range. A hangfire bruised my buddies shoulder good,Told him to hang on to it :idunno:

haha...I wont EVEN think about full loads ....
I saw one of these fly outta hand on youtube...
( course it was fired by a girl)......

After you shoot it some you are going to HAVE to come up with a good name for it.

what ever idiot moved this post he only post a pic of the blunder bust he bought off armslist.

They are honeys! Mine was a hoot & a half! 60 -70 grains with a load of shot, buckshot or what have you roared plenty! I know they can take it but a big ole honking load might do more damage to you than ole thunderbucket! Most fun I ever had with mine was policing up all the .22LR cases I could find and blasting away at old heavy cardboard oil cans...think how long it's been since you saw any of those and you'll get the feel for the time frame I'm talking about! :wink: :haha:

1750 grains of shot....... Yeah this will end well...... please video it and post on youtube.....

Hi Scalper. Congratulations! And it sounds like it's never been fired. Great find. Yes, they are a rare find. Only seen 1 or 2 at gun shows over the last 30+ years. I seem to remember those being in the Dixie catalog as far back as the late 1960's. The stocks were finished to a shiny black. Almost looked like ebony. If I recall it had a short butt stock and LOP.
In any case it should be a blast to shoot. They seem to take well to experimentation with loads.
2-3 years ago I was able to purchase a custom blunderbuss in 11 gauge. Here are the first three shots from her. Poster is 3'X 2'. Loaded powder, over powder card, greased wad, shot, and over shot card. Was only 7 yards, but I figured these guns were made for about 15 yards or less. It's hard to know where to point the muzzle :haha: Sure rates high on the "fun to shoot" scale.
Later, I back the load off to 75 grains and used 10 .31 caliber balls, which produced better results.
Again, congrats. Post a target if you get a chance. Rick. :hatsoff:

Scalper, a cool one and I see why you chose yours over my purchase...

; )

Blunderbus' are fun.

Mine...

The safer square load is still heavy and only three layers, but, an efficient heavy load for that 0.95 caliber is probably 12 almost .441 ball (four nested layers) or 16 0000 (.38) Buckshot (almost .393 ball actually -- a 1360 grain or 3.1 oz. load of pellets). Ouch! Yeah, I'd stick to the square load of 2.3 ozs. LOL

Give it a try and let us know. I would expect at least a three foot spread at 15 yards.

Ricky, I would urge you not to put more than 9 or maybe a heavy 12 .33/00 Buckshot in that 11 ga., or, 12 or a heavy 16 .30/#1 Buckshot as an alternative... Period!

Hi Alden.
As Cynthia said, at close range, it will certainly get the job done. :haha:
Yes, 15 yards seems to be it's maximum useful distance. But that was probably all it was intended for.
The 90 grain and 10 .36 caliber balls - with that much lead - and a short barrel produced a stout recoil as you can imagine. :shocked2:
I was really surprised at how much more manageable the 75 grain charge with 10 .31 caliber load was. Big difference.
Where to start with a load for these guns seems to be mostly guess work. It's not like you are trying to work up a hunting load for a 12 gauge smoothbore with a longer barrel where you have some known factors and lots of experience from other shooters.
I haven't tried the 10 and 15 yards yet, but will do so this Spring/Summer. I'll take pics of the 7,10, and 15 yards using the same load.
The barrel on mine was custom made by Ed Rhal. It has a thick breech designed for heavy loads.
For sure, these blunderbuss are a blast to shoot. Probably the most fun to shoot gun I own. Rick. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back