• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Mail Lady.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Appalachian

Feral American
Reaction score
Probably won't speak to me anymore after lugging 50 pounds of soft lead AND a big box of unmentionable 10mm hollow points to the door today.

I'm sorry Mail Lady, truly I am.

Didn't realize how low my stash had gotten, until I realized how low it had gotten.

Fixed that......

Screenshot_20240222_165709_Gallery.jpg

Hahahaha, at least they delivered it. I got a note pasted to my mailbox. 1 package to heavy, pick up in person. I was not pleased. I had 50lbs of lead, figured no big deal. Anyhow good time to stock up, ya never know.
Yep, been a while but one time I received around 45 pounds of xray plate and got that same note. But, that was back before my post office was turned into just an outpost with short hours. Now inbound packages come through a larger PO on the other side of the mountain, and they're pretty good about things.

Kind of surprised it got lugged to your door and not a note posted to your door instead. As I understand they don't really have to do that per their work rules. It's worth a nice Christmas card and a generous gratuity this coming December.
Kinda sorta makes up for my brand spanking new 20lb ladle pour lead pot coming out of St Louis Missouri getting sent to Utah first where it's apparently STUCK and not moving. Last time I checked a map, Virginia is east of Missouri, not west.

Hey mail lady, don't like the heavy packages, then go work at Waffle house. I couldn't care less what the mail people think about packages I get. With today's USPS, consider yourself lucky you even get letters and packages. They've lost or damaged many items I've gotten over the years.

I have a friend who buys lead and has it shipped to him.

I simply struck up a deal with a local scrap metal yard. I can trade aluminum, steel or pay cash for lead. They call or text when they get pure lead. I pay the going rate at St. Louis, they don't have to haul it and I don't pay to ship it.

I have a friend who buys lead and has it shipped to him.

I simply struck up a deal with a local scrap metal yard. I can trade aluminum, steel or pay cash for lead. They call or text when they get pure lead. I pay the going rate at St. Louis, they don't have to haul it and I don't pay to ship it.
When was the last time you bought from them?

Lead has been reclassified and all the scrap yards around here will buy everything you can haul in to them, but won't sell a single ounce unless you have a hazmat license.

When was the last time you bought from them?

Lead has been reclassified and all the scrap yards around here will buy everything you can haul in to them, but won't sell a single ounce unless you have a hazmat license.

Sometime before May of 23, deleted all text before that time and the text from the scrap yard are gone. I'm guessimg two years ago, maybe slightly more.

Anyone ever use the lead in a car battery for casting? Hope it’s not a dumb question that’s been answered over and over . I don’t know much about the process

Anyone ever use the lead in a car battery for casting? Hope it’s not a dumb question that’s been answered over and over . I don’t know much about the process
Nope, and I'm not even going to try. I've watched videos of guys breaking one down and recovering the lead. LOTS of flushing (acid), and LOTS of messy nasty work getting the plates seperated from the innards of how a battery is made. Unless I was absolutely desperate with no other options, the reward isn't worth the investment.

My mail lady is probably 95 pounds soaking wet after a trip to a pre LGB buffet. Once I got a slip to pick up a bullet/lead box from the PO. The main guy there apologized and said that she was injured and could not deliver items that heavy. I told him not to worry as I am fine with just picking them up as long as they hold on to them until I can make it up there.

That is the only time that happened. No the lead boxes are delivered to my door. I guess she healed up and has no problems when she is healthy.

I try not to abuse my postal carrier with that heavy of boxes. If it won't fit in a USPS small flat rate box, then I don't sell it or send it. 10 pounds of lead in a small flat rate box id plenty heavy.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I try not to abuse my postal carrier with that heavy of boxes. If it won't fit in a USPS small flat rate box, then I don't sell it or send it. 10 pounds of lead in a small flat rate box id plenty heavy.
Ohio Rusty ><>
So, what's your total price, shipped, on 50 pounds of clean pure lead.

Serious question........

I bought 50 lbs last year and had a note that it was too heavy to deliver. The PO is about 1/4 mile away so no big deal. Now our mail guy is in his 30's, decent athletic build and .....lazy. Went to pick it up and a pretty young girl brought it to the front desk and lifted it onto the counter, then asked if I wanted her to take it to my car. :dunno:

Just a difference in attitude.

Don

Last edited:
Well, she did speak to me dropping off my brand new 20 lb melting pot this morning. She wanted to know what the heck was in that heavy package. I told her 50 lbs of lead. She said well gold always comes insured and signature so we figured it wasn't that. Lol.

I told her it's Hillbilly Gold......

I always tip my mailman in about November to say thanks and apologize for all the packages the misses will be ordering. He brings lead right to my door without hesitation.

Latest posts

Back