• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Lyman GPR: I Think She's a Shooter!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattole

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently completed a rather ambitious rebuild and refinish of a used .54 GPR that I had purchased sight unseen. The bore looked good and since I was so excited about rebuilding the gun, I didn't bother to shoot it before breaking it down. After the work was completed the question remained: will she put lead where I aim?

Using a slightly modified version of Dutch Schoultz's system I worked on finding the powder load that the gun liked best. I started at 80 grains of Goex Express FFG with a .535 ball and a .006 (compressed measurement) denim patch treated with a 1:7 Ballistol:H2O solution (soaked, squeegeed, dried) and cut at the muzzle. I shot from a shooting bag that rested on the hood of my truck. The target was 50 yards away. I swabbed between shots with a patch treated with "Stumpy's Moose Milk" - this was the only deviation I took from Dutch's system, in that I used a much more heavily lubed patch for swabbing between shots than he advocates for (loading was very difficult otherwise).

Here are the results of a 4-shot string using 90 grains of Goex Express FFG. I think this is the load that I will most likely stick with. So yes, the GPR is a shooter! I am glad, and relieved.

I was thinking of sighting the rifle in for 75 yards, as this seems to be a common zero for folks who use their muzzleloaders for hunting. Tomorrow I will head back to the range to do this. Lucky me.

IMG_2179.jpg

She's a shooter alright but I've never seen a great plains that was not. :thumbsup:

I agree. Everyone brags on how good of a shooter their GPR is... me too!

Gotta pic of the rifle? I've also contemplated redoing mine, browning the metalwork and refinishing the stock. Maybe add some brass tacks.

BrownBear said:
That'll do! Along with your terrific rebuild, you've got a special rifle on your hands.

Thanks, BrownBear. I am gratified with the way it came out and look forward to trying my hand at more ambitious builds in the future.

Back