• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My HomeMade Shot Cups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dan, got it. They did that to me too, actually completely washed a post of mine shew wasnt to thrilled over that one :surrender:

Deadeye said:
This works for me.
Papershotcartridges.jpg

I've shot 100s of these and never had one that didn't open up. These are 20 ga. and just a slip fit in the barrel then seated tight on the powder.
I must be missing something here. Your shotcup contains the over powder and filler wads. Those need to fit the bore tightly and you're adding a wrap or two of paper to the wad diameter. That would be very hard to start down the muzzle and the only way to drive them would be by pushing on the shot, which would surely split the paper. Are you using 28 gauge wads in your 20 bore or what?

Sorry CJ, forgot to write that on the diagram.
I use 24 ga wads. Your right, 20 ga wads won't work. Thanks for noticing that.

Deadeye: I found the same thing with my own efforts to make paper shot cups. 24 gauge, is .58 caliber for those who don't have a table handy. Basically, you want to drop down one full gauge or caliber when making shotcups, to make room for the paper wrap around the wads. This does mean you have to buy the small gauge wads, Or make them with punches, if you have them. YOu can go smaller, so that you can try, for example, using 20 gauge wads on the shotcups for your 12 ga. but I think you will find that 16 ga. wads will work better.

Deadeye, with your "slip fit" cartridges I would be very nervous that they would not remain tightly seated on the powder charge. I certainly would not use them in a double and would be nervous even in a single barrel if carried muzzle downward as I normally carry a gun. I think I'd have to call that a dangerous practice. :shake:

They are not slip fit after being jambed down on the powder, I've bounced the muzzle on the floor in an effort to make them move but have never been able to move one and never had a piece of shot fall out either.
Keep trying, maybe you'll find something legitimate to gripe about.

Deadeye said:
They are not slip fit after being jambed down on the powder, I've bounced the muzzle on the floor in an effort to make them move but have never been able to move one and never had a piece of shot fall out either.
Keep trying, maybe you'll find something legitimate to gripe about.
Deadeye, I don't think it at all hard to understand why I asked the question and made the comment I did. You acknowledged you had forgotten to mention the use of under size wads and I think it reasonable to believe that if the cartridge slips easily down bore it would slip easily back up. You say it doesn't and I'll take your word for that but I think your cheap shot remark was entirely inappropriate and I assure you it was not appreciated. If you don't want questions and comments maybe you should learn to get your post right and complete the first time.

Latest posts

Back