• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just a reminder,,, check your load....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
I had a first for me yesterday.
I always check and make sure my load is seated when I set out from the truck to hunt and the gun is already charged. I've never, every, had the load not be, so I'm occasionally tempted to not do it. Yesterday I lay the gun across the tailgate, got my bags slung, and pulled the wad of lubed rag from the muzzle that I keep there to help keep the bore sealed while the gun sits, locked the truck and set off. When I stepped into the woodline I pulled my ramrod amd dropped it down the bore. To my surprise it stopped a little past halfway. From the sound I knew it was the overshot card that sat on top of the ball. I pushed it down and went on my way..... I got no shots, but I'm glad I checked.
I doubt the card itself would cause a damaging obstruction but if the ball were to roll forward off the powder if a shot was needed, I don't think I could expect my usual accuracy/POI.

20231205_145121.jpg
20231205_162449.jpg

Watch your 6 and check your load.

I always do as well - just a habit.
Maybe two years ago we assembled 7 guys for a late season hunt and I checked my load before we started our first drive, one guy said &!&$, I never seated my ball at the truck. He had just short started it then got interrupted - it can happen but man I was glad we found out before the trigger was pulled!

Niece’s FIL took out one of the Damascus barrels on his vintage double. Claimed it was an overshot card that somehow followed the ramrod about halfway up the bore. I believe one of our British forum members also posted about something similar in the past.

Back