• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my group moved

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I guess most of you already know this, thought I would post it anyway since I didnt know and never read about it anywhere, its about cleaning. I always clean my rifle as good as I can, after shooting, at least I thought, I had my GPR shooting excellent one hole groups, then today while reloading it, I noticed that cleaning tip for cleaning down in the breech plug area, thought I would clean it, since I had forgotten about this tip, well, out came chunks of dried powder residue, So when I reloaded and shot, my groups moved 3 inches to the left and are staying there. hard to believe that stuff was in there after all the cleaning i do to that rifle.

I don't doubt that there was some crud down in the patent breech recess. Most people forget about cleaning that area because to do it right IMO one needs to change the jag to a .32 or .38 cal bore brush with a small patch on the outside and run it in and out of this cavity a few times with the breech area of the barrel full of water. It really doesn't have to be squeeky clean like the bore but the crud atracts moisture which can start rusting the plug.

I think your sight must have been bumped. Cleaning the breech recess will have no effect on where the gun is hitting.
If it were mine, I would re-zero the sights and go happly down the road.

I agree, unless the breech area was completely filled to the point that it made a substantial change in velocity, I think ya accidently bumped the sights.

I had my GPR shooting excellent one hole groups, then today while reloading it, I noticed that cleaning tip for cleaning down in the breech plug area, thought I would clean it, since I had forgotten about this tip, well, out came chunks of dried powder residue, So when I reloaded and shot, my groups moved 3 inches to the left and are staying there.

A way to know for sure is to re-zero in the sights and stop cleaning the breach area, if the group moves back 3 inches to the right, then you'll know...

Did you remove the wedges? :eek: heard tell of a guy who reversed the way he put in his wedges, and his group moved??

just a thought. Don

Well, dangit, somehow I had to have bumped the site, I checked, it was tad over to the side, I moved it back dead center, and that did it, I feel like an IDIOT !.thanks again guys.

When I bought My CVA hawkens several years ago,I had it grouping quite well.Then one day it started to shoot two distinct seperate groups,at the time I was swabbing the bore with a damp patch every third shot,the forth shot would go to the right. What had happened was the rear sight screw had loosened.When I went throught he process of swabbing ,I'd move the rifle differently than when loading so I'd hit the rear sight.This turned out to be the reason every forth shot threw to the right.I retightened the sight screw and havn't had a problem since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifGordy

Well, dangit, somehow I had to have bumped the site, I checked, it was tad over to the side, I moved it back dead center, and that did it,

Better to find out while target shooting than when an ol' Grizzly bear is charging...

Target don't rip your limbs off, but they do give paper cuts... :winking:

I got it back and put a couple tiny drops of gorilla glue to hold it. Darn grizzly aint gonna get my butt.

Don't feel bad I have a Renegade with a T/C peep sight. If I do my part this thing will shoot round ball groups that would scare most people.

One day at my range I was plugging away and hitting all over the place. I thought, this can not be. Sure enough, when I started checking here the screw that held the windage had came loose and was having a lot of fun moving around back there. I tightened it back in place and at the same time the group came right back where it belonged. It happens to all of us. More then once to some I am afraid.. ::

I weigh my balls to within one grain difference ,this has stoped the flyer situation you discribe for me.

Back