• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Scrimshaw Powder Horn!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbiggers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok fella's, try not to laugh to hard. This is by far not the best powder horn thats every been shown on this forum, but i'am rather proud of it, seeings how it is my 1st time effort. I would like to thank my Fiance for her artistic ability in the scrimshaw work (this was her 1st time also) and Scott, aka..41Aeronca..for all his advise and suggestions on how to make this happen. :bow: I really look forward to my next one, hopefully it will be somewhat better... :thumbsup:

Danny... :hatsoff: Please forgive the quaility of these pic's, i used a high contrast to bring out the scrimshaw images better..

Here's what i started with...A plain aged French & Indian war era horn.

HPIM0874_edited.jpg

Here's the finished Horn...With Buffalo Herd, Elk Head, Lancaster .50 Cal Banner, Directional Dial, Fort William Henry, 1757 Banner, and of course my name & my Horn.. :wink: :thumbsup:

DSCF0050_edited-1.jpg

DSCF0053_edited-3.jpg

DSCF0055_edited-1.jpg

DSCF0051_edited-1.jpg

DSCF0056_edited-1.jpg

DSCF0057_edited-2.jpg

:thumbsup: LOOKS GREAT iam looking for the right horn to have some scrimshaw done to it

neal (50 cal)

Danny's horn came out pretty good; it wasn't how he originally wanted it to come out, but heck everybody has problems with projects at times. I really feel kinda bad, because I coached him on how I dye my horns using RIT dye. What I didn't mention, was that I use the powdered dye. Danny got the concentrated liquid dye, and the horn came out darker than he wanted. But it all worked out ok in the end, and he has a unique horn to be proud of.
Scott

une carabine ...I think ya dun good! real good! and yer likin doin it so that's great too! pretty cool :thumbsup:
(my own scrim is blamed on barb wire!) :wink:

I think you made it better, I really like the way you darken the horn, is that a dye/stain or was it colored by controlled burning?

Musketman said:
I think you made it better, I really like the way you darken the horn, is that a dye/stain or was it colored by controlled burning?
:rotf: It was more like an uncontrolled plane crash... :grin: I had intended on the horn to have a cocoa brown neck and lightly tanned on the body and black ink for the patterns, but like a complete moron/man (to hear my wife tell it) i didn't read the bottle of dye carefully to see that it was a concentrate. So i used 3/4ths of the bottle in about 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of water and it came out dang near black.. :shocked2: :shake: Oh i got upset. I then started buffing and lightly sanding, and still took off a lot of the scrimshaw etching that had been done, so my little women redone it and the carving had a whiteish tint to it and it still looked pretty cool. We said, "what the hell" and got some white ink and redone it and what you see, is what we come up with. My next one will be a lot more traditional, and better looking... :thumbsup: ( I Hope )

You can still be proud of the work you did. You will use it with pride. The next one will be better but you will always remember the first one. :applause:
Dusty :wink:

Trench said:
You are much too modest! I would be proud of that horn.
Thank you i am proud of it, i just tend to set my expectations a little too high sometimes... :redface:

That's a damn fine horn. I'm a guy who likes different, and that one would sure stand out. I like the darker horns anyway.

Cowboy45j said:
That's a damn fine horn. I'm a guy who likes different, and that one would sure stand out. I like the darker horns anyway.
Dang, thank you cowboy45...that really means a lot. Wait til you see the tomahawk i just refinished & engraved, its pretty cool also... :grin:

Back