• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first Rendevous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nappers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Gang,

Here are some pictures of my first rendevous!

I am a pilgrim as they say eh? I did better than I thought I would and it was fun. We squeezed 3 days worth of activities into 1 day as we just went over for one day. It was a blast. The traders had some nice stuff and spent some cash and bought some stuff. Mike loaned me his hawk and throwing knife. I did pretty good overall. I had a blast (did I say that or read on, I repeat it). The next rendevous is at "Trout Creek" outside of Mccloud, CA. Can't wait! I didn't do as well as I wanted on pistol as I would flinch like crazy when the trigger was pulled and didn't go boom, worn spring maybe as my caps were new and worked all day at rifle range. That's on me, flinching, will work on that. I met some great guys and gals all in period correct clothing and having a ball. The property owners were great and let us do our thing. One target, I gonged was about 100yds or farther and I was proud of that one with my gun. A lot of people liked my gun and was considered lucky to inherit a nice gun. I am glad I found a new hobby and good people to share it with. I want to build my girlfriend a gun for her and take her with me!.....

I didn't take as many pictures I as liked as I was busy: Powder, Patch, Ball, Powder, Patch, Ball! Blue hawk, Red knife, Knife only, hawk only and walking! with a ton of stuff dangling from my waist! It was a blast! (I said that, sorry). Most of the pics were spur of the moment.....

Here is the camp, not a lot of people at this one as weather played cruel jokes on us. Normally Mike said there would be 500 or so here, there was maybe 100 or less.....

Camp:This trader had a little of everything. I bought a new powder horn, brass snuff can for lubed patches, nipple pick, 3 tin cans to load for next rendevous, belt w/buckle, leather lace, ball bag, medicine bag, native bead work and a knife blank to put handles on later. It was a blast! I recently purchased a capper, 3 rivers solvent/lube, new wood ramrod for gun (I boogered up my original one), bore guides and new 10/32 .50 jag and a .50 jag tip. I'm all set now except for a possibles bag. But what I don't have, Mike has let me borrow. He enjoys helping others. Oh yeah! I did under 30 seconds with Jute for starting a fire! Overall, I did well for a first timer, hopefully it goes up from there and no matter what, I will have fun! Oh yeah, Mike gave me a homemade short starter of brass and a bone handle with V grooves in it, it's awesome, I love it!
bp52711_5_.jpg

This trader had some wrought iron stuff, not a bad trader, didn't buy anything from him though, nice guy.
bp52711_6_.jpg

This trader had some nice obsidian work, a very nice axe made from obsidian.
bp52711_4_.jpg

More of the camp, on the left where the hill starts is the end of the line for the trail, it goes way right out of picture where it starts and the pistol range is opposite way. A lot of walking.
bp52711_3_.jpg

Here is my ball bag, I ruined the first stopper, I bought a 1/2 wood rod and wrapped a piece of leather around it with brass screws with a copper washer and brass screw to hold down the lanyard of leather lace, I like it, need to stain the wood now and put some tru oil on it make it a smidge thicker. Got a nice drill bit cut on left index finger from first stopper.....
bp52711_24_.jpg

Here's the stopper: Sorry little blurry with my phone as was the above photo.
bp52711_25_.jpg

Here's yours truly shooting. I did quite well for first timer, I had a complete blast! Smoke is impressive, a few times I couldn't tell if I hit as the gong was quieter than I could hear and couldn't see cause of the smoke! LOL
bp52711_1_.jpg

Here's Mike, my mentor and good friend from work, he was all made up in his leather and coat (proper name escapes me at the moment.....) He's a very good shot, shames me! But I had a smile on my face the whole time, I am hooked fellas! I think he has a .50 cal, not sure on model or anything, forgot.....
bp52711_14_.jpg

Here is his wife, a .45 cal, not sure on model, it's a nice gun and considering same model for my girlfriend as her interest is peaked, sans dressing up for the occasion.....Linda has a very nice powder horn, custom scrimshaw and given to her on their anniversary.
bp52711_18_.jpg

I told my girlfriend I won a new hat.....sent her this picture, she never responded back....LOL. I wore my cowboy hat, wool shirt, denim pants and slip on brown Roper shoes with wool socks, it's about as period correct as I had. I told her we get points for wearing the right stuff, she said you get points for looking like a dork? I said yep, she said I would get a lot of points....Sheesh!
bp52711_23_.jpg

Prior to going, I wanted to melt down some of Cousin Wally's old ammo, he had .440, .410 and .440 bullets, I made them into .497 balls and took them with me, obviously I didn't use them all but had fun making them. I was shown to roll them on a thick piece of glass with a piece of wood with a hole cut out with a piece of glass to roll the balls to round them up a bit.....I counted 500 balls.....
bp52711_22_.jpg

I got my "unofficial" name of Patches, as Mike said I need patches for the shoot, I had already bought 2yds of pillow ticking, washed and dried twice, mic'd at .22th thick. I made around 1350 give or take.....Hey, when you sit in main housing of the klink when the kiddies are asleep and I sit there for 3 hours, might as well be productive.....
bp52711_21_.jpg

I bought more pillow ticking and thought of making a bag similar to the one on the right and cut up patches and make bags out of pillow ticking and fill them up for blanket gifts....Draw string and maybe 150 or so each bag.....I dunno, got several ideas in my head for home made blanket prizes. Brass short starters with horn or wood handles was my other thought....I bought 24' of brass rod.....
bp52711_19_.jpg

This is my "correct as I had available" hat with my first ever evidence of a rendevous!
bp52711_9_.jpg

It was at Pitt River, here in No. California, by Burney. I put it in my hat as I'm awful proud to show it, I will put it on my possibles bag when I aquire one, money is tight right now for my new found hobby!
bp52711_10_.jpg

Here is Mike and I after a long day. I forgot my powder at his house when we left, at one point in the pistol shoot, I was supplying powder out of my powder horn as he filled mine up from his, he was giving caps to his wife who ran out and rest at car and he forgot .45 balls for his pistol and had to buy some at the trader which irked him as he makes them at a cost of pennies at his house! 3 of us sharing supplies for the shoot, it was a hoot though! Can't tell by my smile that I had fun eh? I don't normally smile in pictures, my mom has 12 years of school pictures with make up pictures of me not smiling.....
bp52711_7_.jpg

Thanks for looking, my next rendevous hopefully I will have better pictures. I was really busy and the camera was not on the to list as much as I liked!

Aaron
"Patches"

:hatsoff: :thumbsup: Welcome to the smokey side.Hooked isn't the word for it.Enjoyed the pics and story.Next time you'll be all dressed up like your friend Mike.Thanks,Griz

Looks like you had a great time! I'm sure it won't be long and you will have you whole outfit put together. Thanks for taking the time to post the story and pic's.

Latest posts

Back