• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

statetrooper62

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, not a great one but my first powder horn. I did it to try my handcraft skills. It was a very old cow horn I bought for half an euro in a flea market near my home town. Some rasping, filing, sandpaper, iron wool and lot of sweat. The stopper is the carved tip of the horn, the plug is a furniture button. The ornaments are in what it seemed to me to be some american natives' ornaments, feathers, bone beads, leather strap. I also tried to carve a powder measure from a roe antler I polished. It hold 45 grains. I embellished it with my first try of scrimshaw, a bear head.

1cd03c45.jpg

Very nicely done and a great find for a flea market. The hardest part is finding the next one to get started on. :thumbsup:

Ron

Good horn for first or tenth. :applause:
I would suggest you swap the horn plug with wood. Horn and antler do not compress and make a snug fit difficult. If you force it can split the horn. Wood compresses and will give a snug fit without splitting the horn.

Nice first powder horn!..The more you get into looking at more horns, the more you want to do to them!

My suggestion, is to just keep everything(including the stopper) as is! .. It is your first horn and great memories come looking down the line with your first project!

JMHO
Rick... :thumbsup:

I'm a bit torn between wgat rifleman and horner75 said in their post. while Horner75 is right about the value of someones first horn, it has immense value (I still have my first one!) but Rifleman is also right about the horn stopper, it could very well crack your horn as it will not compress like wood.

Aside from that you made yourself a nice horn, as long as it is also functional then you got a winner! :hatsoff:

The plug of the horn is made with wood, maintained in place with toothpicks and some glue. I screwed a wood button with a iron screw in the plug , this button is normally a handle for drawer.
Someday I will get a wood lathe...
Thank you for your compliments.
Be patient, it's not my last horn.
c8cf2372.jpg

trooper, we were speaking in regards to the spout plug, not the base :grin: , as mentioned before, the removing and replacing can sometimes act as a wedge in ther horn and cause cracking at the spout. (not a good thing) this is because there is not give in horn, meanwhile there is some give in wood, which is why it is suggested for the plug rather than horn. :thumbsup:

gus13 said:
trooper, we were speaking in regards to the spout plug, not the base :grin: , as mentioned before, the removing and replacing can sometimes act as a wedge in ther horn and cause cracking at the spout. (not a good thing) this is because there is not give in horn, meanwhile there is some give in wood, which is why it is suggested for the plug rather than horn. :thumbsup:

Yes, the stopper at the pour out spout is what I was referring to.
I'm sure you don't want to split your horn.

I would be proud to carry that horn!
I love scrimshawed horns, but that is practical and functional.

You can put that under my xmas tree anytime~I have an old horn out in the garage,maybe i should try one :hmm:

:doh: Okay, now I understand, the stopper for the spout ! I bought some wooden stoppers two years ago at Track Of The Wolf, in the style fancy Ebony fiddle peg. It remains me one . I will fit the spout of the horn for this stopper. So it will be okay. thanks for your advices. :hatsoff:

I am working on my first one also and hope it turns out half as nice!!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Back