• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Rifle carving...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is coming along very nicely. Just a couple of rather minor elbows (on the PB cover) that could use some smoothing out. The main tendrils on the BP side. If you stare at it long enough you will see them.

Hi Jerry

Could you provide a little insight on how you learned to create your work. Were there any books or videos that you used to gain the skills? Did you have a mentor. I am interested in trying out this at some point. Thanks.

-Steve

Hi Jerry

Could you provide a little insight on how you learned to create your work. Were there any books or videos that you used to gain the skills? Did you have a mentor. I am interested in trying out this at some point. Thanks.

-Steve
Anyone who says that good chisel and wood skills can "simply be picked up in a weekend" is lying. All good woodworking skills take time and PATIENCE to learn... BUT anyone can gain these skills with time and again, patience.

There are only a few basic rules to chisel carving.
You can learn the rules in any book on the subject. It is not rocket science.
but training your hands the techniques "and feel" to do the work takes time.

Then there is equipment. To do this kind of detail on a rifle, You will need the smallest "Professional" chisel set possible (1mm heads) $150
and you will need a magnifying helmet with a light and multiple powered lenses $50
and a 7000 grit whet stone. $50

But you should start out with a standard SIZE "professional" set of chisels and practice, practice, practice, on some hardwoods doing much larger but similar designs until they look GREAT and you are board doing them.
I did such work on furniture like rockers and my kitchen table off and on for over 20 years.

Once you are confident with the big work, then you get the tiny tools and the magnification helmet and do the same thing in miniature on scrap hardwood until you are confident with that too. Then you do it again on curved hardwood.

Then you get a rifle and GO FOR IT!

Hi Jerry

-Steve
Yup... I see them now... Thanks!

Some folks can’t duplicate that kind of work with a dremel! Well done!
A Dremel!!! OMG! I have seen people try and duplicate this kind of work with a Dremel tool before and really, really mess up badly. Like to the point of just throwing it away in the burn pile! Nope, give me a good set of micro carving tools every time.

It's your gun, you're the one building it and you're the one that will use it. You're the one who has to like it. You build it any way you want to! I've noticed a number of people telling you how "they" would have done it. But . . . "They" aren't the ones building it are they? You did a stellar job! I love it . . . and I'm green with envy! LOL!

Back