• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first flintlock, TC PA Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mornin folks.

Last week I went to an auction and brought home a pair of older TC rifles for what I felt was a pretty good price considering today's market.

One of them is a TC PA Hunter flinter in 50cal. I won the bid at $275. It seems to have been well cared for. Looking down the barrel with a pocket light revealed an empty chamber and an initial impression of a bore in good to very good condition. This morning I broke out my muzzleloading tool kit and gave all the hardware a tightness check and ran a lightly buttered patch down the bore. Patch came out with a very small amount of light brown, not nearly enough to be concerned about. Ran a pipe cleaner through the touch hole with ease all the way into the chamber. Pipe cleaner didn't come out with any color to it.

Overall I'm very happy with this purchase and am excited to step into the world of rock locks. 🙂

From what I've been able to gather searching this forum, mine is an earlier model with the original style cock that is said to be rough on flints and the frizzen. I tripped it twice on a double verified empty chamber and it seems to throw a good spark, at least to my untrained eye.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the sights. Both look to be replacements of some sort. The front looks like a home made blade and the rear looks to be some sort of commercial replacement that has been hand filed on the top. I can say that they are a finer sight picture and maybe it will shoot lights out. I'll give them a try before considering replacing them with originals.

At any rate, I snapped a few pics, sorry about the crummy background on the tailgate of my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20220828_102706426.jpg
    IMG_20220828_102706426.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220828_102700117.jpg
    IMG_20220828_102700117.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220828_102817306.jpg
    IMG_20220828_102817306.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220828_102811225.jpg
    IMG_20220828_102811225.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220828_102721110.jpg
    IMG_20220828_102721110.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Mornin folks.

Last week I went to an auction and brought home a pair of older TC rifles for what I felt was a pretty good price considering today's market.

One of them is a TC PA Hunter flinter in 50cal. I won the bid at $275. It seems to have been well cared for. Looking down the barrel with a pocket light revealed an empty chamber and an initial impression of a bore in good to very good condition. This morning I broke out my muzzleloading tool kit and gave all the hardware a tightness check and ran a lightly buttered patch down the bore. Patch came out with a very small amount of light brown, not nearly enough to be concerned about. Ran a pipe cleaner through the touch hole with ease all the way into the chamber. Pipe cleaner didn't come out with any color to it.

Overall I'm very happy with this purchase and am excited to step into the world of rock locks. 🙂

From what I've been able to gather searching this forum, mine is an earlier model with the original style cock that is said to be rough on flints and the frizzen. I tripped it twice on a double verified empty chamber and it seems to throw a good spark, at least to my untrained eye.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the sights. Both look to be replacements of some sort. The front looks like a home made blade and the rear looks to be some sort of commercial replacement that has been hand filed on the top. I can say that they are a finer sight picture and maybe it will shoot lights out. I'll give them a try before considering replacing them with originals.

At any rate, I snapped a few pics, sorry about the crummy background on the tailgate of my truck.
Nice!

Grabbed a couple pics showing the rear sight and it's orientation. Muzzle is to the left in each pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20220828_183034976.jpg
    IMG_20220828_183034976.jpg
    980.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220828_183029556.jpg
    IMG_20220828_183029556.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
So the cutout face of the rear sight should be toward the muzzle? Interesting. Thanks fellers 🍻 I'll do that.

I may at some point look for the newer style TC rear sight and replace it since it's been filed down for some reason. In the meantime, I'll give it an honest shake

The sights look interesting. The rear sight looks like the “primitive” non adjustable sight TC sold for their Muzzleloaders back in the day for shooters competing in primitive matches requiring non adjustable sights. I’ve had a set on my TC Hawken since the 70s and also have a NOS rear still in the package. The front sight appears to have had a blade added to a broken front sight. The blade is also similar to the TC primitive front sight. Before replacing it, try working up a load and see how close it is. I like the set on my Hawken. The only downside is you have to file it or the front down to adjust elevation. The sight picture is a Patridge style.

Very nice, the PA Hunter was one of my favorites in the T/C lineup. My flint version has the shorter, 28" I believe, full octagon barrel and factory original recoil pad. I haven't shot mine much, the length of pull seems a bit long, at least for me. When ordered mine I didn't realize they'd made changes to that model, I'd rather have the early model, 31" octagon to round.

Good deal, you ought to get a lot of enjoyment out owning and shooting that gun.

NICE riflegun!
The primitive sight combo is interesting. The factory adjustable sights are... difficult for some eyes. I'm thinking of going Patridge type on mine, although I much prefer an aperture.
My newest Pennsylvania Hunter flintlock is finally finding her way. Bumblebee did some GOOD work today.
They are very difficult rifles to walk away from. Decent barrel length, excellent balance, nice and trim. I was smitten the minute I picked one up. Am actually thinking about having my other one sleeved, or custom barrelled, to .50 caliber 1-38 twist for conicals etc.
It's an AMAZING twist in .50 caliber.
Enjoy your new girl!

Latest posts

Back