• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my ethical dillema

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever have a family member, including a dog go through Lyme disease? I have 3 friends and family that have suffered through it, my sister still hasn't completely gotten over it, her second bout with it. Had a dog that had to be treated twice before recovering from it. I know a hell of a lot of people up here who would have no ethical dilemma at all here with this situation.

Frank,
I just want to chime in that I'm proud and happy that you still have the drive to want to do it. My dad is past being able to hunt anymore. I also know an old man that just turned 80 years old. He still loves to hunt and still goes, even though it causes him great pain. I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore myself but I try to help out the older men anytime I can. Makes me feel good and I am always better for it. I hope you get to keep hunting for many more seasons. It must be a sad time in a man's life when he has to discontinue doing something that he loves so much. If I can help extend those hunting seasons by helping get a deer out of the woods, you can bet I will.

Jeff

A buddy of mine was hunting in northern B.C. and was surprised to drive up to a hunter holding a 10 lb. cube of meat. It turns out that two long time friends had dropped their moose and were packing it out 10 lbs at a time :shocked2: The younger one was in his 80's!!! My friends helped them pack it out and were rewarded with info on every honey hole the two gentlemen knew about, it was their last hunt as they were hanging up the rifles and wouldn't need those spots anymore!!! I hope I have that much jam at that age!

as many others have said, get a younger hunting partner. i would personally be honered to help out an older more experienced hunter. i can gut and carry pretty good although the gutten part is hell on my back.

-matt

always glad to help to keep hunting a pure sport by helping others.....Where I am at in Illinois most of the hunting north of the national forest is done on what most would consider small tracts. I agree with putting up a ground blind in the yard and harvesting deer. I am bow hunting in a 3 acre market garden in the small town I live in because the deer have destroyed a persons sweet corn and green beans. One hunting tract is 10 acres, a second 11 and a third 20, I have no problem with that, it is the norm around here.

Some many years ago my dad supervised a work camp occupied by inmates of the state system. The inmates brought a fawn in one spring thinking it abandoned. No way of knowing if it was or not, but point of story is that "Bucky" became a permanent resident of the camp. After a few years Bucky became a pretty respectable sized buck. During the rut he attacked a woman visiting the camp! No way of knowing why, but it was clear that he could not be trusted around the camp any longer. The inmates painted his antlers red and transported him many miles away to an area they were working in. Was never seen again and there were no reports of red antlered deer being killed that year.

Point is, if they are hanging around fearlessly they could become a problem. I would shoot em and eat em, but if that bothers you, make it a point to run them off with plenty of noise etc. until they no longer feel comfortable.

I think that Rifleman1776 has a proper heart in this matter. He is older and having mobility problems. Perhaps the Creator is bringing his meat to him. He could set up his blind at the edge of the property and it would seem that the kill would be no different than intercepting the deer along a walkway heading to any type of feeding area.

When deer get that thick at home I get a LOT of damage to gardens, crops and orchards.

I would thin the herd a bit and be happy to have the freezer getting full.

I think of it as a way of getting my vegetables/fruits back. :thumbsup:

car54 said:
I think that Rifleman1776 has a proper heart in this matter. He is older and having mobility problems. Perhaps the Creator is bringing his meat to him. He could set up his blind at the edge of the property and it would seem that the kill would be no different than intercepting the deer along a walkway heading to any type of feeding area.
I thought that imediatly when this thread was started, but I wasn't going to say it. But now that it has been said.
I agree.
I am a firm believer that the creator occasionaly sees to our needs.

If you want I can come and thin them out for ya, :grin:

Meat Is meat. After the coolers are full I will Gladly "Pack" any critter you want out of the woods. I will never drag another critter unless I can see my truck (under 500 yards) from the gut pile. I usually quarter or de-bone the meat and take it out in a pack frame. a couple miles 2 or 3 times with the load on my back is easyer than trying to drag anything! On my back its just like a walk in the park, and its half way butchered!

I think harvesting an animal from your porch if leagal is not a problem. Hitting one while on the bike would be!!

to the original poster

both a deer cart and a childs plastic rollup sled make dragging a deer easy if you take your time,

you need to find a partner to hunt with and drag with

I guess I have made my decision for sure.
Yesterday, we had two bucks in the yard. A young basket 6-pointer and large then pointer. Very desirable big buck. But, I just watched from the window without even a little desire to take him. He was only about 10 yards from my shop door. Coulda brought him down with a tossed brick. Oddly neither was very skittish as bucks normally are this time of year. They grazed more like cows. The does that are usually in my front yard in the morning when I go out for the paper just stand and watch me.
I usually keep my cameras locked up for security but will get one out and try to get a pic of these boys another day.

Your choice to make. I know at my age I do a lot more looking than shooting. Want to let you know that they make a roll up deer sled out of some type of plastic. You cant hurt it and it slides like hot butter. We use it back in Pa. You dont even know you are dragging one out. Goes over rocks dirt anything. If you think dragging on snow is easy, wait till you try one of these. Been using one for over twenty years. The one they make for kids will break after awhile and you have to be real carefull with it. I know sportsman guide had them on sell. You could check the big name shops also.

Rifleman,
You and I are pretty close to the same level of "maturity" and I got a change of heart a number of years ago. We lived where we had a perpetual herd of about 15 deer on the property all the time, as well as 2 labrador retreivers. The deer would be in the yard feeding and the dogs would be out doing their business and all remained very peaceeful and calm. They started me thinking that, even though we enjoyed venison, we enjoyed seeing the peacefulness of nature working it's majic even more. For many years I have espoused that a good picture would have made a good shot, but the picture will be enjoyed by many folks over the years.
Mark

I have one of those roll up things and a sorta tobbagan. I used the tobbagan last year and about kilt myself coming uphill over rocks and dead fall.
Snow? :rotf: Ye kidding? We do get snow but having it there when needed is very unlikely.

The nice thing about the roll up sled is when you get to a log you just lift the head of the deer up and the rest will just slip over it. No fighting or wearing yourself out. It was the best investment I have made in a long time. Didnt know that you didnt get snow for deer season. Love to hunt after a good snow storm.

Back