• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My day with the T/C Renegade .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Green Mtn barrel is the 15/16 version to replace the 15/16 barrel on my 50 cal T/C Hawken. The barrel is 4 inches longer than the T/C barrel, but since they are both the same across the flats... You get it, larger bore more metal removed. I'm currently at work so I will weigh the rifle tomorrow with the different barrels attached and let you know the weight difference. I bet it's not much.

cynthialee said:
I am green with envy. I want one of those Green Mountain barrels for either my .50 or my .54

Tip Curtis...Cross Plains Tenn...."The Frontier shop"
Sell some eggs and chickens and give Tip a call
....615-654-4445
He's a straight shooter with a Tennessee twang! :grin:
All my T/C's are lined with green.

Did not realize it but I have turned into a round ball snob.
Snuck-up on me in the last 3 years and did'nt see it coming.
Testing some 40 cal. conicals just didn't feel right. :idunno:
Flintlock and round ball for me...YMMV :grin:

I am finding I like the round balls a lot more than conicals. Less kick and they actually go into the part of the target I am shooting at. Conicals seem to have a mind of their own and that just doesn't work for me. Maybe if I was a civil war rifleman (there were a number of women who possed as men to fight in the Civil War) and I had a few thousand guys shooting with me I might be more inclined to like them.

I had a .54 Renegade kit gun for several years and always shot 12gr FFG with PRB or Maxi Hunters and could knock over a 8" steel plate every time at 50. I replaced the factory rear sight with the hunter's tang sight and got good accuracy. I always used a Bore Button under every projectile. I believe they really help a flat base conical not burn he lead at the corners of the base (kind of like a gas check bullet. I NEVER burned a with them either. Now I use them in my GPR over 100Gr FFG and .530 PRB every time and patches come out good enough to use again. I really recommend them.

conicals CAN work.....but just like a PRB it takes effort to find what works the best.I shoot conicals AND PRB in all my TC rifles but not the first one shoots alike. as a rule heavier powder charges are needed and a felt wad always help but heck I use them with PRB too but as has been said a 54 PRB will take most anything down

cynthialee - My TC .50 shoots maxi-balls well with 80 or 90 grains 2f Goex (cloverleafs at 50 yds.). My brothers .54 Renegade is sighted in with 90 grains 2f and maxi-ball. That being said, the roundballs are much more pleasant to shoot. I'd say go with what your gun (and your shoulder) prefer! :thumbsup:

Get one you will love it, I like mine in .54 on my Renegade, a tack driver for hunting..

cynthialee said:
I am green with envy. I want one of those Green Mountain barrels for either my .50 or my .54

My 54s like 2F much better than 3f.They are more consistant in patterns with the 2F.Try reducing you charge to 60 grains of 3F and see if that helps.

O.K. I was wrong :doh: I weighed the T/C Hawken with the Green Mountain .54 barrel came in at 8 pounds 6 ounces. Rifle with original .50 barrel...7 pounds 2 ounces! Keep in mind this is the 15/16" barrel and not the 1.0" barrel.

The suggestion of contacting Tip Curtis is a good one. I know that he had the components last week - was there for a visit while on the way back from the CLA. (Could not afford the gun that I want just yet, but I did get a gun building stand.)

However, I would not give up on the conicals just yet. Do a search here on paper patching conicals and also load development. These have been discussed here many times and there are a lot of ideas.

BTW, I also have a renegade and recently bought a Green Mountain barrel with a round ball twist, but mine is a .40 cal. Got a breech plug for a T/C and some great sights to go with it all. Just need to start putting it all together.

CS

Back