• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 2016 Cow Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been hunting the same area(s) for about the last 8 years, I believe. This is an OTC tag that I purchase when I don't draw a Bull tag (Never :). The cool thing is that the area is close to my home, muzzleloader only, antlerless only.This combination keeps the crowd down to a reasonable level especially since there are two units you can hunt. Only open for two weeks but with the exception of one year, I have been able to take my cow here. Really open country, they can dissapear like you can't believe though, due to the dips, lava blows and draws that run through it. I spotted the herd at about 2:00 PM on the 5th day I hunted (second trip) and was fortunate enough to slip into 30 yards of the sleeping herd. The bulls antlers sticking up out of the tumbleweeds gave their position. I cow called twice to get them to stand up BANG! 3/4 mile pack out, by myself as usual. It was awesome. I used a .58 caliber Investarms rifle and cast some 445 gr conicals this year for the first time, it makes a great elk gun. I still love my round balls for everything else. I see one killed with a 50 caliber ball and am not saying it can't be done but I just chose to go this route this year.
IMG_20160914_202715.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Again great Job!! I was wondering when you were going to post the picture.

Beauty!

Enjoy your Elk steaks.
your Elk roasts.
your Elk burger.

So jealous!

Greg

Thanks everyone, I am extremely thankful for the gift of the experience and the winter meat. Good fortune to you all this season.

Latest posts

Back