• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 1837 Brunswick Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,
I just finished my P1837 Brunswick rifle today so I thought I would share some pictures. This is the two groove rifle that shoots the banded ball. Since mine was made in Nepal the rifling was hand cut so I will just be shooting the .69 Cal round ball. She cleaned up nice for being almost 180 years old. I will post a range report later. :slap: :slap: :youcrazy: :youcrazy:

http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/ksearles62/slideshow/1837 Brunswick

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! You sure made a silk purse out of a sows ear with all of your hard work on that old rifle!

I have had a keen interest in the two groove belted round ball rifles ever since I acquired an original PA Kentucky of the same vintage as your Brunswick made with this barrel system.

Well done!

Great job...now it's time to hunt for a mold! Though, using a .69 ball is one method, but the guns have a long history of not doing well with patched round balls. Those brought into the U.S. during the Civil War proved problematic and a make-shift fix was found using a large hollow-skirt Mine ball for operations. Did fine this video on the problem and having a ringed ball mold made by Jeff Tanner. Hope it helps.
https://hoveysknivesofchina.com/2010/06/14/bullets-for-brunswick-rifles-a-source-for-molds/

Last edited by a moderator:
My Jeff Tanner mold will be here in about a week. Very quick response when ordering molds. This rifle is a blast to shoot and I can't wait for the mold.

WOW!! Just WOW!!

IF I could find a rifle that cleaned up that nice, I'd have a Minie-ball mold made & hunt with it.
(In fact, IF I had it, I'd work up a suitable big game load & it would make the trip to Moldova/Ukraine to hunt Russian Boar this winter.= Looks like a good KILLER to me.)

yours, satx

Atlanta Cutlery had a bunch of these which came from Nepal. However, they were made in England, like their P 53 Enfields but they have Nepalese marking on them.

AC are just down the road from me.

You did an outstanding job on this old rifle.

Is that lever on the side at top a bayonet mount or a stacking swivel?

I received my belted ball mold from Jeff Tanner today. I was impressed by the mold and decided to go right to work and cast a bunch of soft lead belted balls. I can't wait to get out to the range.

Hi Gene (sorry I just saw the pun as I typed it. My sympathy for your school days).

IMA have bought all the Atlanta Cutlery guns now and have them for sale.

The Nepal Brunswicks, as with their Enfield P1853s and Sniders, were Nepal made. British Brunswicks saw long service in India but did not make their way north to Nepal. Some of the P1853 and Snider locks were reused British but the their Brunswicks are pure Nepali.

FWIW the ones described as smoothbores with no patch box are actually Enfield P1838 copies with Brunswick style bayonet bars etc. to use the same bayonets.

Nice looking one Monkey.

I don't know if I have ever seen a finer restoration of one of the guns from the Nepal Cache. Did you use Kramer's Antique Restorer and bronze wool among other things?
Eager to hear your range results with the banded balls.

Latest posts

Back