• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzlerloader Article

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poordevil

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Did you all catch Mike Nesbitts article in last Muzzloader Mag about his new Canoe Gun?

I thought it very interesting seeing the velocity comparisons and its ability to shoot so well.

He also addressed the Name Canoe Gun, , so it has been acknowledged that a gun called, "Canoe Gun" as we use the name was not used.

I liked the article and I love my little 16ga Canoe Gun. They are indeed a useful little, handy gun.

My next will be a canoe gun kit from NSW. They don't suffer that much with a shorter barrel. In fact there's nothing much to be gained past 30". I, too, love short, handy guns.

Is it safe to say "Canoe Gun" now that M.Brooks and TG aren't around?

I was impressed with Mike's targets shooting his Canoe Gun. He also showed me a thing or two about the possible ballistics from a 20" barrel. It should bury some of the myths about the accuracy and usefulness of these handy lil' guns.

I've been saying all along that the short barrel isn't an obstacle to accuracy and when fed correctly the are capable of taking large game at reasonable distances. Now, it seems, Mike has proven it. I'm suprised that this is the first time that the article has come up here on The Forum. Maybe no one here reads Muzzleloader...? They should.

I have been away from this site for a while. Those 2 are gone? I did not notice :blah:

Yes,, short BBL guns have always be it for me. They are handy and powerful and in the ranges smooth bores are used, plenty accurate. I like 'em.

laffindog said:
Is it safe to say "Canoe Gun" now that M.Brooks and TG aren't around?

I don't know that TG is gone. He just posted here a couple days ago. Enjoy, J.D.

Who is the maker? I,m not posirive , :hmm: but I believe he did an article on Jackie Brown,s "short barreled " smoothbores. It may have been in "Muzzleblast" or "Back Woodsman". But a few years ago .
:thumbsup:

Mike's article is what inspired me to settle on a canoe gun. I do subscribe to Muzzleloader.

The article I am referring to is in the last Muzzleloader and is a North Star West Canoe Gun. The one I have is also a NSW and very nice it is.

P

I'll fill in for TG. Long as you're having fun and not asserting historical accuracy either in the term "canoe gun" or that such guns were manufactured deliberately, or that they were common, or preferred, or that an Anglo would saw off a perfectly good trade gun, more power to ya. Yes, I took the bait, it was looking so juicy! You know you wanted a strike!

I probably was not the first to use the canoe gun name but maybe so. Many years ago, I had quite a few short barrel pieces with nothing to do with them. I decided on a 18 to 24 inch barreled gun and decided to call it a "canoe gun". Sounded good to me anyway. I certainly won't claim to be the one that named them though.

Since I carry mine running, I suppose I could call mine a "Running Gun" But "Canoe Gun" works for me. Yes, the name is apparently a 20th Century invention, but it seems to be here to stay, doesn't it?

I'm a Teamster so the one I just finished I call a "Wagon gun" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :blah: :blah: :blah:
Or maybe I should call it a "buckboard gun" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :blah: :blah: :blah:

poordevil said:
The article I am referring to is in the last Muzzleloader and is a North Star West Canoe Gun. The one I have is also a NSW and very nice it is.

P

That article has had me thinking too. Could use a short light smoothbore for bunnies infront of the dogs. Would be just as HC as my beagles but HC is not what I'm looking for with a canoe gun.

I'll just call it my "bunny gun" or since I don't own a canoe I'll call it my "kayak gun" If I take it duck hunting. Don't matter to me. I liked the article, and I like the idea of the light gun. :thumbsup:

BrownBear said:
I'm likely to pick one up, but I think I'll call mine a barn gun. :grin:
Well, lots of possible names out there and possibly no verification to "canoe gun".... BUT there were certainly instances of "blanket guns"!!

Since I am more of a Texican than a resident of the far frozen north or the far mountains and a lot of our language has been influenced by the Spanish and Mexican, I propose that any sawed off or short barrel smooth bore be called an Escopeta. This is what I intend to call my NSW chiefs gun with a 30" barrel. That should settle that argument. Us Texans do well to bastardize most languages anyway.

Scot

Latest posts

Back