• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader/treestand question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been hunting a lot of years, started with small game and birds with no dog, then started hunting pheasant, woodcock, and patridge over a family friend's dog, then I got heavy into bow hunting, started with a training wheel bow then got into traditional and primitive, hunting on the ground for many years. Only been bow hunting from a treestand for 10 or 12 years. When I got into traditional muzzleloader and now do most of my hunting with either flintlock or traditional bow. However, I've never hunted from a treestand with my flintlock. Just never seemed right somehow.
So, my question is, if I were to give it a go hunting from one of my lock on stands, where do you keep the gun when not in your hands? Does anyone secure it somehow, something to keep gravity from grabbing it and returning it to the earth?
I know it seems like a silly question, but I'd never really thought about it until recently.
I put a sling on my gun when hunting and do the same I do with most other guns. My stand has a front rest on the seat to sit on while climbing. I'll lay it across that a lot, might even use it as a table to pour a cup of tea. If there is a nubb'n of a tree limb I'll hang it on there to put my extra jacket on or if I have a saw, most times I do, I'll climb until reaching a suitable donor limb for a hang stuff hook. When I use a stand with out the front rest, I'll cut a stick on the way in with a "Y" I can use on the rungs of the platform as a gun rest and just leave it by the tree when I leave in case I Ever hunt that tree again.

Same stuff with the MJ as I would with any other gun or bow.

I bought a cheap retractable dog leash for raising and lowering my guns and bows out of my stand. I've been doing it for years and never had a problem.

Back