• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader/treestand question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Been hunting a lot of years, started with small game and birds with no dog, then started hunting pheasant, woodcock, and patridge over a family friend's dog, then I got heavy into bow hunting, started with a training wheel bow then got into traditional and primitive, hunting on the ground for many years. Only been bow hunting from a treestand for 10 or 12 years. When I got into traditional muzzleloader and now do most of my hunting with either flintlock or traditional bow. However, I've never hunted from a treestand with my flintlock. Just never seemed right somehow.
So, my question is, if I were to give it a go hunting from one of my lock on stands, where do you keep the gun when not in your hands? Does anyone secure it somehow, something to keep gravity from grabbing it and returning it to the earth?
I know it seems like a silly question, but I'd never really thought about it until recently.

What do you do with your bow?

I use a small rope to raise and lower my rifle from a tree stand. When I am in the tree, I hold on to my rifle the whole time. Same thing I do with a bow. I dont like to sit there without being ready to shoot.

I do not hunt out of a tree as much anymore.

Fleener

When I hunt a lock-on with my flintlock I keep the gun across my lap and usually have my cross sticks in the stand with me as well because I am a lousy off hand shot.

I have a homemade ladder stand with an awkward seat that is hard to shoot in some directions out of. I put up a Muddy strap on shooting rail on this stand, it straps to the tree and gives plenty of support to hold your gun on the rail

Right now I only have two ladder stands up on my little 4 acre plot. If I get in another club and put up my lock-ons I will buy more shooting rails as they work wonderfully on a lock on. This rail is bigger than the picture looks.
shooting rail.jpg

I used to consider a cord tied to the rifle. My concern is that the heavier butt end would point down and the muzzle would end up pointing at me. I put a slip on sling on it. The butt section has a ring that is connected to a D ring latch (like a dog leash). I put one leg through the sling and put the rifle across my lap. If it falls, it is only making it under my seat and not very far. When I need to shoot, I quickly and quietly unhook the D latch and free up the rifle. I did put buckskin on the latch to keep it quiet. It is awkward but provides a big measure of safety .

Though I've not hunted from a tree with a flintlock, I would think one could hang the gun on a cut off limb of appropriate diameter (or a nail or hook) by the trigger guard behind the trigger.

Best regards, Skychief.

Another traditional bowhunter here! I shoot a t/d recurve.

I also hunt from climber and lock-on stands bowhunting. I use them during black powder and firearms seasons also. Like Lobo, I have slings installed on all my rifles as I'm a hunter and not necessarily a target shooter. I set my stands mainly for bowhunting, and I'm the type that cant stand to hold my bow or rifle for hours while on stand, so I install a screw-in swivel-arm bow holder about head height while standing at all my stand sites, and carry one in my pack to use when using my climbing stand. That same bow holder works just perfect for hanging my rifles from their sling within short, easy reach while in the stands.

What do you do with your bow?

I use a small rope to raise and lower my rifle from a tree stand. When I am in the tree, I hold on to my rifle the whole time. Same thing I do with a bow. I dont like to sit there without being ready to shoot.

I do not hunt out of a tree as much anymore.

Fleener

I hang it on one of those screw in bow holder arms with a hook at the end of 3 sections. No slings on any of my flint locks.

I tend to get in my stand extra early, carrying extra clothing layers with me, I will sweat too much hiking in if I wear them in, and freeze without them, so, I need a place for the gun when putting the layers on, or having a cup of coffee if I stay a long time. I also don't sit much, I usually try to stay standing as close to/against the tree as much as possible (looking also for a way to make my seats higher).

Going to look into one of those rails Eric. Thanks.

When in a tree, i only use a climber. Nothing else.
I have hooks screwed to my climber rail that i bungee my gun or bow with.
Deprime and climb.
I hunt with my recurve, crossbow, slug gun or Hawken.

I used to consider a cord tied to the rifle. My concern is that the heavier butt end would point down and the muzzle would end up pointing at me. I put a slip on sling on it. The butt section has a ring that is connected to a D ring latch (like a dog leash). I put one leg through the sling and put the rifle across my lap. If it falls, it is only making it under my seat and not very far. When I need to shoot, I quickly and quietly unhook the D latch and free up the rifle. I did put buckskin on the latch to keep it quiet. It is awkward but provides a big measure of safety .

Very good and unique idea. Thanks. I don't sit a lot, but, if I combine your idea with Eric's rail, we may be on to something.
Confession time regarding the rail and paranoia. When I 1st started using treestands with my bow I went hunting a new place with a friend and used one of his climbing stands that had a rail built in. I let my bow rest across it. At some point I made to big a movement and sent my bow to the ground. Luckily undamaged.

I hunted bear from a climbing stand in 2017, I used that gray foam insulation for pipes and camo duct tape to cover the rail. Raised and lowered the rifle in a case. While I was in stand the rifle sat across the rail, seemed vary stable to me. Only hiccup was the Zipper on the rife case seemed absurdly loud, but I'm guessing the climbing stand was as loud or louder.

I never hunted out of a treestand with a muzzle loader. Just never did it that way. I can picture myself trying to do a quick reload, or a slow one, on a little metal platform 15 ft. in the air. Just not for me. Wear your safety harness.

Thank you Logcutter, I don't recall that particular shot but most of my shots on deer are not over 50yds and most of the time less.
The rifle is a .62 Jaeger build for me by Jud Brennan in 1979.

I have a sling and wear the gun into and out of the stand across my back, uncapped of course. My stand has a shooting rest, so while in the stand I lean it against the frame work of the rest right next to me and also have the sling over a screw in bow holder. The end of the shooting rest where it bolts to the arm rest frame makes a spot that the barrel can rest against and not slide over. I don't trust the screw in holder to support the whole weight of the rifle.

Back