• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle protector for cleaning rod.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not a big deal overall but I made this at work to protect the crown and muzzle of some of my guns.
My 3/8 steel range/cleaning rod can't damage anything now.
I get it isn't a huge fancy job with intricate details I had to machine but it definitely does its job.
Now to knurl the shoulder and not lose it somewhere.

20201021_152732.jpg
20201021_152824.jpg
20201021_152818.jpg
20201021_152814.jpg

To one and all I say thank you from the depths of my heart.
Your words are very kind even though my small project couldn't hold a match to the work I have seen on here you have still come out to make positive comments, thank you.
Ron

Nice lathe work :thumb: -- it will do the job with the knurling or not - should be interesting how you do the knurling now that you parted it off the rest of the parent metal :dunno: .

Nice lathe work :thumb: -- it will do the job with the knurling or not - should be interesting how you do the knurling now that you parted it off the rest of the parent metal :dunno: .
Since my employer does not have a knurling tool but I do at home my plan is to run a piece of 3/8 stainless through that is threaded and snug down 2 rubber coated steel washers run it with my live center for support then knurl.gently.
More work for myself in the end but literally this started out as just an idea with no real print to follow while at work talking with another muzzleloader friend I work with.
An hour later I had this part.

I put a small step on the bottom to hold it centered. Even at angles the weapon would never see during use it stays put.
Now no matter the circumstances I know it is centered and cannot let any rod cause damage.
I have found on the steel rack at home a 3/8 piece of high polish mild steel I use for air cylinder piston rod that will most likely be what I turn into a good usable range and cleaning rod.
Not historically correct but then again nor am I.

IMG_26351.jpg
IMG_26381.jpg
IMG_26451.jpg
IMG_26431.jpg

Look like a grenade launcher on that long rifle :ghostly: . As you know knurling puts a LOT of side pressure on the work piece even light passes. Good luck - you can do it :thumb:

Look like a grenade launcher on that long rifle :ghostly: . As you know knurling puts a LOT of side pressure on the work piece even light passes. Good luck - you can do it :thumb:
I do believe that could be an issue but i will try.
If I keep the collet end and live center end close as possible it just may work.

Back