• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle Loading Silhouette?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking all over the internet for any information regarding muzzle loading silhouette. NMLRA discusses BPCR, but not anything specific to muzzle loaders! I am thinking 1/2 scale out to 100 yards. If anyone has any information on existing competitions, please let me know. I do not want to reinvent, but participate if I can find something...
Thanks,
Ivery

We hold two events a year Squirrel at 30 yards, small buffalo at 60 yards and standing chuck at 90 yards.
Not sure if this follows any particular guidance or not. But our club has been doing it for 30 years. The squirrel is life size, the buffalo is about 8" tall and 10" wide and the chuck is about a foot tall and 5-6" wide. That's the tough one. When you pull up your sights it appears about that wide at that distance.

Not sure I fully understand what you are looking for. NMLRA has 2 different sil. games that are ML only and are shot during the Nationals. One is for .40 cal and under and uses the standard animals. Rams at 100 yards I think. I would have to look for the size of these.

The other game is for large bore ML, and these are non traditional Sil. animals. Farthest target is a bear at 200 yards. For those that come to Friendship and shoot this match you will find brand new targets this year made from AR 500 steel. The new targets are painted and sitting on the range right now waiting to be shot. We used some of the PR grant money to purchase these new targets.

I am heading to F'ship Thursday am and will be there for a week or so. I wont be checking in very often. If you need more info let me know.

Fleener

This link will take you to a description of the NMLRA Muzzleloading Rifle Silhouette targets and the ranges. I don't have the description of the targets specifically. @fleener might have the specific dimensions.

Full list of Silhouette Matches — The NMLRA

The following is from the NMLRA Rule book:

SILHOUETTE 5700–MATCH DESCRIPTION–A match consists of 20 rounds: 4 crow targets at 50 yards 4 groundhog targets at 100 yards 4 buffalo targets at 150 yards 4 turkey targets at 175 yards 4 bear targets at 200 yards

5710–TARGETS–The silhouette targets are made from steel plate and shall be 3/8" thick for the crow and groundhog, 1/4" thick for the buffalo, turkey, and bear. The feet upon which the silhouettes rest should be made from the same type and thickness of steel as the targets. The dimensions are as follows: BASE SIZE: SILHOUETTE SIZE: Crow 2" x 4" x 3/8" Crow 12" x 8 1/2" x 3/8" Groundhog 3" x 6" x 3/8" Groundhog 6 1/2" x 13 1/2" x 3/8" Buffalo 3" x 5" x 1/4" (2 required) Buffalo 22" x 15" x 1/4" Turkey 3" x 7" x 1/4" Turkey 18" x 21" x 1/4" Bear 4" x 6" x 1/4" (2 required) Bear 13" x 35" x 1/4"

All targets are to be placed on stands off the ground. The bears and buffalo shall be placed so that the center of gravity is no more than one inch in front of the topple point. As a simple explanation, the official width of the bear’s feet is four inches. The bear should be moved carefully backward on its stand with the feet overhanging to the back side until the topple point is achieved. From that point they may be moved forward to achieve stability - but since the rules call for not more than one inch forward of this topple point. It is suggested that this final resting place be marked by spraying around the feet with target paint or otherwise, so that the bears may be placed in the same place each time they are reset. Standard NRA silhouette targets may be used at the prescribed distances.

5720–EQUIPMENT ALLOWED–Any rifle with open sights (shaders allowed) loaded with single patched round ball. Targets are designed to fall with a medium to light load for a hunting rifle. All targets can be easily toppled with a .45 caliber round ball and 60 grain charge. Any shooter who is destroying targets will be disqualified. Bullet loading blocks are allowed. Loading powder directly from flask or horn into muzzle of rifle is prohibited.

These targets will topple, if set properly, using a 45 caliber rifle and about 60 grains of black powder. I have knocked over all of the targets with my 45 caliber rifle. I have occasionally left a target on the stand with a perfect center of mass hit and I have spun a target on the stand and it still stood. Must fall to score.

Go to the NMLRA Rules Book and read all the information. The information is on page 11.

rulesbigbooks08 (msmla.org)

Last edited:
Thanks, Grenadier, this is exactly what I have been trying to find. I was hoping for something a little more conventional, like chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams, but this should not be too hard to duplicate in a local match. If we could get some local matches working, we might be able to stir up more interest in going to Friendship. Lots of shooters are looking for alternatives now that other unmentionable supplies are beginning to dry up...
Thanks also to Rafter Rob and Fleener as well for additional information...
Regards,
Ivery

Latest posts

Back