• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket nipple conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nipple already in the rifle may have a too small flash hole for reliability.

Yes!!!!!!

Over a year ago the hammer on the .58 caliber TC New Englander began half cocking when fired. After cleaning the rifle i installed someones new whiz bang nipple and put the rifle away. Recently took the rifle to the range, nothing but misfires and hang fires.

The flash hole in that nipple was tiny. Tossed that nipple and installed a new TC nipple, now the rifle fires every time.

Not wanting to beat the dead horse, be sure if you have a patent breech, you are cleaning it properly. If residual fouling is allowed to remain in it, your gun will foul quicker. Running a small brush with cleaning solution applied will give an indication if you have one. Or, find a person with an endoscope and take a look at your breech.

Yes!!!!!!

Over a year ago the hammer on the .58 caliber TC New Englander began half cocking when fired. After cleaning the rifle i installed someones new whiz bang nipple and put the rifle away. Recently took the rifle to the range, nothing but misfires and hang fires.

The flash hole in that nipple was tiny. Tossed that nipple and installed a new TC nipple, now the rifle fires every time.
Great point Oakie. The Golden Mean between too large and too small of flash holes. You paid attention to your rifle and it worked. SW

Back