• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mule ear or side slapper locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruran

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am looking for a side slapper or mule ear lock ? Can someone tell me who produces such a lock?

:) Make it yourself. They are so very simple, go back in the percussion thread. Besides that ,its fun and satisfying. Bob

I just had a custom rifle made with one of pioneer arms co. mule ear locks. This lock does not have a half cock to it . On auction arms web page bluegrouse sells a mule ear lock with half cock I bought one of those also but the quality was very poor and Igot rid of that lock. Here is the web page[url] pioneerarms.com[/url] phone 610-356-5203 the guys name is Bernie he bought Dale Storey pat. and did some slight changes to it, the lock is fast and very smooth . If I was smart enough to post pics here I would love to show it to all of you it is quit different. I call my gun "half breed" it has a short 26" oct. to round barrel with a 1-24 twist to shot sabots. Send me your email address and I will try and send you a pic of it this week. Hope this helps [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
gruran said:
I am looking for a side slapper or mule ear lock ? Can someone tell me who produces such a lock?

Get hold of CoyoteJoe he makes a heck of a sideslapper

I made my own to switch with the flint on my Blue Ridge. I used the vertical acting sear so that it works with the standard set trigger on that rifle. As I have no milling machine, mine is fabricated from flat and bar stock brazed togather. It works fine for target shooting but would be a bit awkward for carry in the field. Ignition is quick and sure. :grin:

bowfish said:
I just had a custom rifle made with one of pioneer arms co. mule ear locks...Here is the web page[url] pioneerarms.com[/url] phone 610-356-5203 the guys name is Bernie he bought Dale Storey pat. and did some slight changes to it, the lock is fast and very smooth . If I was smart enough to post pics here I would love to show it to all of you it is quit different.

Bowfish,
You are absolutely write about this Pioneer Arms lock. One could never approach building one of this quality for less than the cost of this lock. A great lock that I anticipate buying another of very soon. First one I followed Bill Knight's directions and grafted onto a Lyman GPR. Gave to my nephew as a college graduation present several years ago. Will do it again soon.
Email me your photo of the lock and I will post it for you here.
Regards,
Bob

I posted the same question back in Dec/Jan and got a ton of replies. Do a "Mule ear" search and it should pull up a lot of useful information. I am currently about 1/2 way done in building my first mule ear. Its the most fun I've had with my cloths on. Good luck, Doug

bowfish said:
I just had a custom rifle made with one of pioneer arms co. mule ear locks. This lock does not have a half cock to it . On auction arms web page bluegrouse sells a mule ear lock with half cock I bought one of those also but the quality was very poor and Igot rid of that lock. Here is the web page[url] pioneerarms.com[/url] phone 610-356-5203 the guys name is Bernie he bought Dale Storey pat. and did some slight changes to it, the lock is fast and very smooth . If I was smart enough to post pics here I would love to show it to all of you it is quit different. I call my gun "half breed" it has a short 26" oct. to round barrel with a 1-24 twist to shot sabots. Send me your email address and I will try and send you a pic of it this week. Hope this helps [email protected]

Here's a picture of Bowfish's muley. Nice gun!
muleear.jpg

Back