• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mud bugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's my son's 25th birthday so we all went to the lake last night and caught a mess of crawdads. We get some decent sized ones in Colorado. Good day so far. Cast some .454 for the revolver,purging crawdads and getting ready for the cookout View attachment 240438
the very best , in Mohave desert they are hard to find .the only seafood house has them for $20.a pound

Mudbugs. Up nawth they are called crawdads, down south crawfish or crayfish. But, anyplace they are great eating. They sell by the tons in southern Louisiana.
There is a spot not many miles from where I live in north-central Arkansas that has some that are super huge, almost small lobsters. I'm not saying exactly where (I know). They are endangered and Federally protected.

There is a spot not many miles from where I live in north-central Arkansas that has some that are super huge, almost small lobsters. I'm not saying exactly where (I know).
I’ve got a few spots that will give me a trap so full, it looks like I deliberately stuffed it for a photo op. I don’t reveal my locations either. I just tell people that I think it’s best to stay upstream from the wastewater plant discharge. I don’t tell them that I don’t even fish that waterway at all. 😎

Nice catch! Here in PA, especially along the susky, we can find them everywhere but i've never eaten one. Most are small, have heard and seen crawfish boils but never tried it. Grew up on Jersey coast eating crabs though so not sure why I never did?
Love blue crab. As achild, we would trap them all week long and save them in an underwater cage for visiting family on weekends.
Many years later I just buy the picked meat when I have a taste for it. That or soft crabs. Eating a hard shell blue crab is labor intensive.

I use a large cooler filled with filtered creek water and then use a bait bubbler to keep the water oxygenated. When I run my traps, I do about a dozen trap-fulls. No body likes except me, so I do the equivalent of a huge boil and freeze most. I only need to do this a few times a year. What I plan to freeze, I boil in plain water then get‘em on ice. Pick the meat and package to freeze. When I’m ready for a frozen batch, I set up a small boil, get all the seasonings in, and bring to a boil. Toss in the frozen batch and kill the heat. By the time 15-20 minutes has rolled around, their hot and perfectly flavored.

I use a large cooler filled with filtered creek water and then use a bait bubbler to keep the water oxygenated. When I run my traps, I do about a dozen trap-fulls. No body likes except me, so I do the equivalent of a huge boil and freeze most. I only need to do this a few times a year. What I plan to freeze, I boil in plain water then get‘em on ice. Pick the meat and package to freeze. When I’m ready for a frozen batch, I set up a small boil, get all the seasonings in, and bring to a boil. Toss in the frozen batch and kill the heat. By the time 15-20 minutes has rolled around, their hot and perfectly flavore

I use a large cooler filled with filtered creek water and then use a bait bubbler to keep the water oxygenated. When I run my traps, I do about a dozen trap-fulls. No body likes except me, so I do the equivalent of a huge boil and freeze most. I only need to do this a few times a year. What I plan to freeze, I boil in plain water then get‘em on ice. Pick the meat and package to freeze. When I’m ready for a frozen batch, I set up a small boil, get all the seasonings in, and bring to a boil. Toss in the frozen batch and kill the heat. By the time 15-20 minutes has rolled around, their hot and perfectly flavored.
I think I'll start doing that. My daughter and I peeled the left overs tonight and chilled them and ate them with cocktail sauce. I think they have more fat than shrimp.

Latest posts

Back