• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mowery .45 ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragnetbill

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I adopted a cute little .45 yesterday.
It appears to be a Mowery Gun Works, but, the only marking that I could find on her is 45 on a barrel flat near the breech. The young man I got her from stated that it was built by a man from Texas who he and his dad had bought a bunch of hand forged knives from.
I have taken the side plate off of the receiver and there are no casting numbers inside.
I know that Mowery sold kits; does anyone know if the kits were stamped with the Mowery mark and serial numbers?
Anyone know how the butt stock is secured to the receiver? I removed the butt plate screws, but, the plate didn't want to budge with a light tap. Note the small crack in the butt stock at the wrist; it's not loose, but, I'm contemplating a repair. DSCN1682.JPGDSCN1684.JPGDSCN1687.JPG

My .50 Mowery is stamped “MOWERY” in almost unreadable tiny (<2mm high - I had to use a magnifying glass!) letters on the flat left of the top, serial number in readable numerals on the top flat, and “50” also in readable numerals on the right flat.

Yes, there is a long bolt that goes through the stock from the rear. There were 3 owners/producers of the Mowrey rifle brand. Mr. Mowrey did build some prototypes before he went full commercial production. So could be you have a prototype, a kit gun or perhaps a Deer Creek version. Deer creek was known to use their own produced barrels for CVA and Mowrey offerings when they ran out of the original stock.

Latest posts

Back