• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moving As Slow As A Tree

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulvallandigham

Passed On
Reaction score
In the newest issue of Muzzle Blasts, ( October, 2006, page 51), I have an article titled," Moving As Slow As a Tree ", in which I explain what this old phrase means, and how to do it. Since firearm deer seasons are still a few weeks off, but many of our members are already out in the woods scouting their territory to locate deer, and places to erect stands, both ground and tree stands, there is time still to practice this skill, and used it both in scouting and hunting, especially when the weather turns on you, the wind blows from the wrong direction, or the deer just decide to stay in their beds longer. ( Yes, the editor spelled my name wrong- He apparently doesn't think its long enough and added the " n " to " dig ".) If you have any questions, please contact me at [email protected]. I will be happy to help you out all I can.

Paul, I read your article in "Muzzle Blasts" and enjoyed it very much. As a longtime hunter, I have to agree with what you had to say. I experienced my best results hunting when I finally got used to concealment and not moving at a fast pace. I try to use my deerstand whenever possible, a climber, and it keeps me above the sight and scent line of most deer. I just watch sometimes, and find great happiness in seeing things that I would otherwise miss, as your pheasant story stated also. I have watched things that are truly fascinating and it makes hunting that much more enjoyable. Thanks for the good article, and don't worry about the misspelling of your last name. Your friends and fans knew who they were talking about.

Will this article be published online anywhere for those of us who don't have access to Muzzleblasts? It sounds interesting, and I'd love to read it myself.

Greycat

I had no idea Paul was such a writer until he mention an artical he wrote in another post sometime back. Then this post. I just got a copy of "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" and found in the bibliography as a reference an unpublished maunscript by Paul titled "Why Not a Flintlock".
I thought what a shame it was never published.
Paul has presented some very good ideas in his posts here. They seem to be well thought out and he tries to back them up with research or experience.
While its true that any group as quirky as a bunch of people who choose to shoot muzzle loaders probably won't agree on everything. Paul has many times given us thoughts and ideas that made me pause and rethink things. I'm glad he's here and sharing.

Regards, Dave

I also enjoyed the short article in MB mag. My father-in-law was a practitioner of that method in Pennsylvania, and was able to walk right up to deer. As a novice I have gotten pretty close, too. Brought back memories--can't get used to the modern "ambush'm from a stand over the feeder" technique used in these parts...

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. For those who have sent me PM, I have sent you my address and have offered to mail copies of the article to you. I do ask all members of the forum to join the NMLRA. We need your support, and your counsel. This is a voluntary organization, and it needs all the help people can give. As it has grown, there are more and more benefits to being a member. Check the links section on this forum, for nmlra, and find out how you can join. The magazine is really top notch, I learn new things every month, even after all these years, and it now has a comment section where members' letters to the editor are posted. There are some bad regulations that need to be changed affecting the sale of black powder that has and is really hurting us all. The NMLRA lobbyist, working with the NRA people is our best chance to get needed changes. But we can't do it with out members backing us up. If you nave never made it to Friendship Indiana, you owe yourself a trip at least once in your lifetime. It really is the Mecca of our sport.

I just read it Paul,
I was going to say kudos on the general muzzleloading forum but this is as good as anywere.
Thanks Paul it was a good read and reminded me of how I was brought up to hunt by my great uncles and my grandfather.
I take three steps and glass the timber with a pair of 8X42 binos.
It may take me all day to cover 100 acers of timber when the hunting is good.
I have killed many elk and deer this way and perfer it to any other method
Again kudos to you :bow:

YOu are welcome. Of course, this kind of information doesn't sell more tree stands, or scopes, or new guns, or substitute powder, so you are not likely to read this kind of thing in some commercial gun magazine. That is why I like Muzzle Blasts so much. Its editor will publish things like this, that remind us old guys of the way our fathers and grandfathers taught us to hunt, and teaches the new guys how to do it, too.

Good read, Paul. :hatsoff: I saw your post the other day but left my issue of Muzzle Blasts at work and hadn't got that far in yet. Was my day off yesterday. Had to work today so I got to read it between jobs.

Can I make a few copies to pass along to some of my huntin' buddies? I know a few guys that could use the tips.

I remember one day during deer season when we were gathered around the trucks at lunch time discussing our plans for the afternoon hunt. I said I planned to still hunt thru "the valley". It's maybe 400 yards, from the place I would drop in, to the property line where I would come out. Everyone wanted to know where I planned to go after that. I said "home, it'll be dark by then". They couldn't believe it would take me that long to walk 400 yards.

Goin' slow is good advice for whitetails in the east, but if yore huntin' mulies in the far west, you'll have to step up the pace a bit. :winking:

Slamfire: Moving faster means moving jerky, for humans, and that jerking motion draws attention. There is nothing else in nature that moves that way. If you want to cover ground you have to learn to bend over at the waste to reduce your silhouette, and move with bent knees, in a " Glide " motion. Sometimes you are going to have to crawl across open gaps in trees, but you want to only stand up when you are next to and behind a tree from the area you want to hunt. You also have to pay attention to not only wind direction, but also ground currents, as you have so many updrafts in the foothills and mountains where you hunt mule deer. When the sun is out, it heats the ground and air causing it to move up the sides of ravines, and hills and mountains. Muley's are famous for laying up on a South facing slope where they can be warmed by the sun, but use their noses to smell danger from below. If they have a weakness, its not thinking much about looking up. You also need to take advantage of shadows, cast by clouds moving overhead. That temporary change in light conditions can be used to conceal movement on a stalk. Always go with the clouds, of course. If that is away from where you want to go, well, wait until you are under a large cloud and move slower to another point of cover.

The biggest problem I see hunters doing is making a lot of noise, dragging and stomping their feet in the woods. They are not even aware of the noise they make. And they don't have a clue how to stop it. I have had guys approach me in the woods when I have been hunting, where I can hear them coming, even with my bad ears, at over 50 yds. Often they don't even see me in my wonderful blaze orange, so I also have to wonder how they look, and what they are looking to see. On one of the rare times I used a tree stand, I had a man walk right under me, and never looked up, until I talked to him. He had not seen me, the ladder, nothing. And he walked like a freight train coming and going. I was hoping the deer in the neighborhood couldn't count and if they had heard me, they would think I had also gone. Sure enough about an hour later a doe appeared, but did not get within range for a shot.

Actually one of the most effective tactics was to hunt with a pard, and each one of you walk on a different side of a draw. One guy sits and watches while the other walks a way on the side hill. Then he sits shild the other guy throws a couple of rocks into the brush, then walks ahead of the other. Keep this up until you git to the end of the points, and shift to the next draw. The bucks can see you movin' around but can't slip out without the watcher havin' a chance to spot it. They git nervous with someone sittin' nearby and often bust out of thier cover when you toss a rock into it. :winking:
Don't need to glide or crawl. :thumbsup:

50 years of hunting iv come to this conclusion. Game is not necessarly scared by noise. Of couse if you were absoulty silent that would be better. But thats impossible. But what scares game is the 'wrong' kind of noise. Deer can pick up on someone 'sneakin' in a heartbeat, while at times you can walk normally and get right in on them. There, to me, are no set rules about stalking game. The BEST deer hunter I know is also the fastest one I know. Cant argue with his numbers, his house looks like Buckmasters Trophey Room. I DO try to use the surroundings to break up my silloute, they see you, they gone. But, dont be so scared of noise. Game makes plenty of noise to. Just be sure the noise you make is 'natural', not sneaky. Lots of the turkeys iv gotten into was when I was just casually walking the woods. No matter how you hunt, your eyesight and ears are you BEST assist. See them before they see you,,,and if not,,remain calm as if ice water were in your veins,,,game makes mistakes to,,just watch for it. Myself, I move not so much , as find me a blowdown or something to break up my silloute and 'sniper' game. I play the 'waiting' game,,,besides im old and need the rest!,,lol

Great article Paul. :thumbsup:

I have still hunted for years. I don't have the patience to just wait in one place so took up still hunting. I move such that I will cover maybe 100 yard in a couple of hours. I keep my movements slow and stop and look all around after each step. I don't bother with camo or gilly suits. I have never needed them. I wear a hunters orange cap and a red macinaw. Moving like that and moving up wind I have walked up on deer to within 10 yards and elk within 25.

The one thing you did not mention in your article is that to do this you need to be wearing wool. One scrape of a branch across nylon or cotton will get the attention of every animal in the area. The same scrape across wool will be quieter and if not will sound like a scrape against hair.

Mike: No article and be a endall of all information about hunting. Natural fibers do make less noise, and its difficult to hear the noise they do make from further than a couple of feet. You are more likely to frighten a bird who sees your movement, and sounds an alarm, which all other animals listen to, than to scare a deer with such a sound. Good point to make, tho'.

There are no hard and fast rules about hunting any species. I live in Central Illinois in the farm belt, and the deer here are well fed on corn and soybeans, and are used to human sounds, mechanical noise, and even fire. They just don't spook from the woods if you smoke a cigarette, or move about, or even use a chain saw to cut wood. The bucks normally can be expected to come out to watch what you are doing! Now, in more wilderness areas, where humans are not around all that much, except for hunting season, making noise, smoking, coughing, smelling like a human would all probably be distress signals to the same species of animal. Moving very slow- like a tree- does seem to work to get you close no matter where you hunt deer. New hunters just don't know what slow is, these days, and don't have mentors to teach them in person.

Still hunting does cut down on the other critters raising the alarm. I very rarely have squirrels scold me as I'm moving. I have managed to not have a heart attack when moving around or over something and have birds or rabbits flush right under my feet.

Halftail. I have your address from your PM. There is no link I am aware of. If any reader wants a copy, send me your address by PM, and I will send you a copy. I do wish that all readers here would join the NMLRA. We need your support, and active participation. The ranks of traditional ML shooters is thinning with age, and deaths, and we need all of you to be involved in order to keep our traditions alive for the next generation. If you have never traveled to Friendship, you owe it to yourself to make the trip for one of the big shoots. If you don't make prior arrangements for overnight accomodations, you may have to travel an hour or more to find a motel to stay in, but you want to spend more than one day there, if you plan to shoot.

There are many techniques to hunting, no doubt, as all areas to hunt as well as various type game may be hunted a little differently. But the general idea of being still as a tree, and using all of nature as your advantage is the jest of Paul's article. I know that all hunting is not exactly the same. But I think you have to be an observer of everything that you can in the woods to be truly sucessful. That is my opinion only. I know that "stomp and shoot" may work in some heavily populated deer areas, but why not sit back and take it all in and marvel at what is before you? No one person can know it all and I guarantee that there is something new to hear and see each trip out if you look and listen.Thanks again Paul. You write from your heart, and that is the best that writing can get.

Back