• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moulding balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I’ll add is that though it seems obvious, solid lead and molten lead weigh the same. Don’t load too much lead in to melt that you can’t handle it safely.

If lead and or production made ammunition ever gets scarce, you will find the ability to make your own ammunition to be a blessing.

I keep a supply of raw lead at all times, even though I only shoot my muzzleloaders infrequently, and have plenty of store bought round balls. It's not only fun, but in tough times, it will be reassuring to know I won't be without ammo. I plan to use the same approach to making my own powder as well. We've seen black powder dry up.

The danger is in the fumes. Lead starts to cook off, vaporization at about 800 degrees. Lead melts at about 700 degrees...
So your kitchen is less well ventilated than your man cave?
Your ball will turn frosty before hot enough to vaporize.
This may be a discussion in a vacuum. If you want to win at the nationals you have to practice, and practice hard.
I don’t burn much more than a pound of powder a year. So my casting represents a few sessions a year. Maybe just a couple.
A world of difference if you have to do it much more.
I’ve never had a major accident in my car. But my risk are a lot lower then a person who drives professionally
11 bang bang channel did a vid talking about his guns he shot on his vids. One his charley. He says he shot two thousand rounds one week. …umph.
I doubt if I have one gun that’s had that much lead through it. I know for sure I have spent many a year with less than two hundred shots.
So I can’t compare the dangers of casting what I cast to some one who might cast ten times as much

Hell, my old man used to melt lead on the kitchen stove to make fishing sinkers when I was a kid. He only started doing it on an old Coleman stove outside because my mom used to complain about the smell. Oh those were the days. Might explain why I have this third arm growing out of the top of my head....

If lead and or production made ammunition ever gets scarce, you will find the ability to make your own ammunition to be a blessing.

I keep a supply of raw lead at all times, even though I only shoot my muzzleloaders infrequently, and have plenty of store bought round balls. It's not only fun, but in tough times, it will be reassuring to know I won't be without ammo. I plan to use the same approach to making my own powder as well. We've seen black powder dry up.

Yep be a Prepper in every way possible, the auld Scots werent fools "Waste not Want not"

Buy up whats available at the time of whatever you know you'll need, its generally only small stuff.

So your kitchen is less well ventilated than your man cave?
Your ball will turn frosty before hot enough to vaporize.
This may be a discussion in a vacuum. If you want to win at the nationals you have to practice, and practice hard.
I don’t burn much more than a pound of powder a year. So my casting represents a few sessions a year. Maybe just a couple.
A world of difference if you have to do it much more.
I’ve never had a major accident in my car. But my risk are a lot lower then a person who drives professionally
11 bang bang channel did a vid talking about his guns he shot on his vids. One his charley. He says he shot two thousand rounds one week. …umph.
I doubt if I have one gun that’s had that much lead through it. I know for sure I have spent many a year with less than two hundred shots.
So I can’t compare the dangers of casting what I cast to some one who might cast ten times as much

I tend to dry fire with a wooden "Flint" to keep my hold and sighting follow through up to par, I'll range practice and stalk some from time to time; but banging away making noise for hours on end is a waste of time IMHO.

If I use old lead water pipes for casting ball I cut it into 2” sections and brush the middle out, this helps to get rid of the inevitable lime scale build up (hard water area) and anything organic, particularly spider carcasses! Experience has shown that they, the spiders that is, can have a violent reaction when they hit the molten lead??

The danger is in the fumes. Lead starts to cook off, vaporization at about 800 degrees. Lead melts at about 700 degrees...
That’s 800-900 degrees celsius, not Fahrenheit. (1400f+)
Bullet casters will never get lead hot enough to “fume”.
If you do smell something, it’s flux or impurities, not lead.

Last edited:
This is from the stained glass industry…

• Don’t eat it.
• Wash hands thoroughly after handling it.
• Don’t drop it on your foot.
People make a good living preaching various garbage, often on the internet. Thank you for taking the time for this.

The danger is in the fumes. Lead starts to cook off, vaporization at about 800 degrees. Lead melts at about 700 degrees... Do an internet search for what temperature does lead vaporize... You will find lots of warning based on science...

That’s 800-900 degrees celsius, not Fahrenheit. (1400f+)
Bullet casters will never get lead hot enough to “fume”.
If you do smell something, it’s flux or impurities, not lead.
Do an internet search for what temperature lead vaporizes, you will be self correcting... Melt safely..

Do an internet search for what temperature lead vaporizes, you will be self correcting... Melt safely..
Confusing numbers and usage
BF15AFC5-5F1D-4A35-A21C-9E2287086817.png
35130CEE-78E2-4B1C-92C4-186CA7894C16.png
CCBA9BCD-6809-4F48-A1C9-4557417BAE16.png

Lead got to get real hot to boil, lead oxid vapor forms near good casting temps. But unless you’re in a small inclosed space you’re exposed to lead vapor won’t be any more dangerous then handeling the ball on loading.
Outside, your man cave, garage, kitchen, are all safe enough to cast in

Confusing numbers and usage
View attachment 216257View attachment 216258View attachment 216259
Lead got to get real hot to boil, lead oxid vapor forms near good casting temps. But unless you’re in a small inclosed space you’re exposed to lead vapor won’t be any more dangerous then handeling the ball on loading.
Outside, your man cave, garage, kitchen, are all safe enough to cast in
Thanks for the verification... At one in the past life I owned a small bullet casting company. We sold mostly lead bullets for obsolete calibers. Corbin was one of my suppliers. They made a very good wet bullet lube...

Back