• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mould lube disaster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RB casting 50cal. Using Lee lead my weights are over the 175 Gn claimed to be the proper weight . What temp is giving best consistency for weight etc? Using single cavity weights vary few tenths is this normal?

What is the best mold release agent to use on lyman 50 cal RB mold? Newbie need to learn the right way that lasts and has minimal impact on cavity volume.
You did ask for best mould release recommendation. I have two cans of Midway Arms 'Drop Out'. Bought decades ago, one can still not opened. Only takes a tiny squirt to do the job. Excellent product. OTOH, I'll back up what others have said, no release at all or just some smoke works fine with rb moulds. Yer choice.

I bought a tube of high temperature silicone grease about 30 years ago when I first took to casting my own ball. A tiny dab on the back of the cutter, and good to go. Still have most of the tube. I think the lead contracts enough as it hardens to break any bond with the mold. I smoke the cavities over a candle once in a while. Have never needed any kind of 'release' lube;

Back