• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most "historically accurate" ball molds, etc?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to put my kit together for throwing ball for my Bess and Rifle but want to stay as HC as possible.

Any recommendations for vendors/makers who make ball molds, ladles, etc. that strive for historically authenticity?

Lee molds (aluminum) will drop a good ball with almost no sprue, similar to a bag mold. Lyman molds (steel) will drop a good ball but they do have a sprue. I have both types and I cast all of my round ball with an open pot and a ladle.

That is what I'm looking for my kit to look like. Can you share what pat and ladle you use too?

That is what I'm looking for my kit to look like. Can you share what pat and ladle you use too?
I have a Lyman Big Dipper pot (20 lb) and a generic ladle to scoop and pour into my mold. A broken wood hammer handle to tap the sprue cutter plate open. Easy to use and once you get a rhythm going, casting a huge amount of roundball is easy to do.

I have been shopping for Bess ball molds recently. Hard to find and expensive if you find one. Lost two on eBay so far and most stores are out of stock. Also not sure what size mine likes yet . Borrowed a .690 just to practice with gun. Good luck with your efforts

Trying to put my kit together for throwing ball for my Bess and Rifle but want to stay as HC as possible.

Any recommendations for vendors/makers who make ball molds, ladles, etc. that strive for historically authenticity?
You said strive for historic accuracy. Lee molds are very good and I have several, Lyman molds are top notch maybe best made. But in no way historically accurate

Lee moulds are aluminum. How can that be HC?

I think what the OP is looking for is the kind of mould you see in use in 'The Patriot' movie - about the only thing about it that is correct.

.690, .715 or .735 seem to be the standard ball size for the smoothbore bess. Being a rifle shooter that looks small but the smoothbore was traditionally loaded with tow or a paper cartridge. Most have a bore around .750. A friend loaded his with .025 denim patches which he could pick up and reuse.

Check log cabin i bought three mold from them that were in stock. A lee two cavity and two Lyman single ball. Web site said to call so I did.

Back