• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Most Dangerous Practices....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizamo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Perhaps the singular "Most Dangerous Practice".... is loading your gun directly from the Flask.

Others?

I watch a lot of new shooters hold their ram rods way up at the top and push with all they got to get that ball down, those wooden rods take quite a bend but what those guys don't realize is how easy that jagged splinter would go through their hand if that rod snapped. Always hold close to the barrel !

1. shooting/loading rapidly without a swab inbetween.

2. looking down the barrel of a loaded firearm. (this seems more common with ML shooters)

3. not understanding that black powder guns are in fact real guns! (more common then you might think)

Several years ago i met a guy in WV gunstore who was missing a couple fingers. He claimed the gun went off while he was loading and blamed an ember in the bore.

After the guy left the owner of the shop said the man had been warned many times for capping his gun before loading.

Not checking to make sure that no one is standing to your immediate right, or left if you lock is on the left side, before firing....whether it's a flintlock or percussion gun. You never know.

Keep bystanders behind you.

Enjoy safely, J.D.

newbies on the range having a hangfire....because they forgot the oil shots.....turning with the rifle in their hands to ask for help :shake: :nono:

Distracted loading..unmarked rod...smoking around bp.. unattended open powder while shooting...poor backstop...Muzzle control..

makeumsmoke said:
smoking around bp

oh man have i had trouble with this... guys smoking cigars around my ML supplies... i even had a guy try to load my rifle with a cigar in his hand!!!

every time i convinced them to put out the cigar they would light it back up 10 minutes later, freaking stupid people!

armymedic.2 said:
immediate loss of muzzle control after a misfire.......which could be a hangfire

I was on a trail walk with some friends back in the spring. Telling stories and loading is a good test for your ability to concentrate on the task at hand.

My friend had two successive pan flashes with no boom and decided that he might have forgotten to load his trade rifle. Immediately after the second misfire, he put the rifle down and blew into the muzzle to see if there was a charge in the gun.

If an ember had been glowing from his previous pan flash, his cranium and contents would have been decorating the pine trees.

When I informed him of that, he went white as a sheet.

If you dont stop and think before you do anything on the line or woods it could be dangerious.
These are all good dangerious items listed.Now lets look over more and discuss them,not do a CSI to see how it could have been prevented.
Read one on another site,two fellas were at a Rondy,friends,wrestling,playing,having a good time,one had on a neck knife. Somehow the knife was stuck in the owners chest,,,it was fatal.Just two friends playing,no anger,no hard feeling just two friends hooting it up.

gizamo said:
Perhaps the singular "Most Dangerous Practice".... is loading your gun directly from the Flask.

Others?

Not being focused on what is being done at the time. When around firearms one must carefully THINK and adhere to basic safety rules.
Almost anything is dangerous when people are not paying attention or violate basic safety procedures.

An acquaintance of mine was killed a few months ago by pulling an AR from a vehicle muzzle first.
Two safety violations. Covered himself with the muzzle -- loaded chamber in the vehicle.
Not paying attention to the details.
Pulling rifles muzzle first from wagons was a cause of fatalities back in the day as well...

Next is ignorance.
This covers loading direct from the flask. As with many things its been known to be a "no-no" since the 18th century at least, but people still do it.

Dan

Doing anything with a weapon while impaired by drugs or alcohol is always dangerous.

A few thoughts:
1. Climbing in and out of a tree stand with out a safety belt.
2. Coming into camp/vehicle with a capped gun. Trying to unload around camp/people.
3. Leaving a charge in the gun overnight (I do it but I live alone and hunt alone and keep the gun cased with a ramrod in the bore).
4. Still hunting with a capped gun, hammer in half cock and then climbing over things or busting through thick brush.
5. Hunting with other people you don't know well enough to hunt with.
6. Not telling anyone else where you are hunting and when you will be back.
Just thought of one more- maybe the most important- hunting tired. I think it might be when you are really tired that accidents might occur. How ever you hunt- think it out. If you hunt with others- agree to climb down from a tree stand and unload the gun right there (it will likely be dark anyway) and walk back to the vehicle/camp. Will you jump a deer. Yep I have. So what- there's lots of deer around.

Taking advice on the internet as gospel even when common sense says other wise, not directed at anyone here by any means :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back