• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mortimer of London 10 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just recently acquired a Mortimer of London 10 gauge Double Barrel Percussion Shotgun 39" Barrels. I was wondering if anyone knew where on these guns a sort of serial number would be. Or any markings I should look for that denote a year of mfg. I will post pictures soon. Thanks to all who reply.

I just recently acquired a Mortimer of London 10 gauge Double Barrel Percussion Shotgun 39" Barrels. I was wondering if anyone knew where on these guns a sort of serial number would be. Or any markings I should look for that denote a year of mfg. I will post pictures soon. Thanks to all who reply.
The proof markings are on the bottom on the barrels so you'll need to remove them from the stock. You'll need to tap out the two or three wedge keys and the barrels will slide off.

There were many, many Mortimer gunmakers..
Thomas J. then Thomas E. were sone of the best..
Congrats..

There are 3 things that will help date a Mortimer. The type of hammers, the address and if there's a stock shield above the wrist. Specifically for the hammers, the tumbler had a threaded shaft that went through the lock and the hammer was set on that with a domed nut that threaded onto the shaft for a certain # of years. Before and after the tumblers had a threaded hole and the hammers were secured with a screw. The most recent percussion guns had a shield above the wrist behind the tang. Some barrels or the tang had "LONDON" marked on it.

Latest posts

Back