• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More Things in Film That Bug Me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is just for fun, I don't really lose sleep over it, but in addition to cartridge guns in Civil War-set movies, I get annoyed when some guy using a quill pen scratches out a major document in seconds, or drinks out of an obviously-empty cup. Another one is when a guy puts something in an envelope, licks it in a milli-second, and seals it so fast without checking to see if the glue "took". And when a guy using an actual percussion pistol fires 5 or 6 shots as fast as an semi-auto. Really bugs me: guys shooting the lock off of a door or strong box, at close range, and one shot miraculously breaks the hasp, with no eye protection on, or ricochet back. Especially when they insert a "kee-pew!" as if the bullet hit a rock or something. What bugs you?

I don't watch many movies from black powder periods. But I just watched the latest Robin Hood with my youngest son. I could go on ad nauseum about the archery stuff in that movie. He was entertained. I was annoyed.

I have a background in engineering stage illusions for professional magicians and also stagecraft (set building). Im also a mechanical and chemical engineer. Along with that, I have an interest in history. Then there is the experience in other things such as sailing, scuba, aviation, music, military, survival. ..

The list goes on!

We have reached a point my wife will tell me to shut up before a movie starts. I usually just sit and read. Lol!

Movies where one side is trying to win the Civil War with dynamite. It wasn't invented until 1867.

Movies where the year it's set in doesn't match the guns they're using.

I don't like unrealistic reactions to being shot. People don't fly through the air when shot with a shotgun.

Some things are not accurate but I don't mind. Like shiny brass cartridge cases with chrome primers. They were copper most of the time in those days, but that would be harder for a production crew to get ahold of so I don't agonize over that.

I have a background in engineering stage illusions for professional magicians and also stagecraft (set building). Im also a mechanical and chemical engineer. Along with that, I have an interest in history. Then there is the experience in other things such as sailing, scuba, aviation, music, military, survival. ..

The list goes on!

We have reached a point my wife will tell me to shut up before a movie starts. I usually just sit and read. Lol!
My wife just says “don’t” she knows what I am about to say, I think she just likes watching me squirm.

The list goes on!

Are we married to the same woman? 😂🤣

We kind of have a tit for tat going. I am always pointing out all the stupid stuff from any show that has guns in it, Historical or modern. She being a retired nurse Points out all the stupidity of medical shows. One of her favorites is you cannot bring a person whose heart has stopped back to life by shocking them that is only used for someone who has an irregular heat beat and they don't jump like in the movies.

I've never been in combat (the military wouldn't take me when I volunteered - go figure) and I've never seen anyone shot. I grew up with all the great WW2 movies but even as a kid I wondered how people really react when they're shot. Spinning, flying, jumping, throwing their arms in the air, etc. all seemed a bit too much in many of the movies I saw. The most dramatic authentic footage I've seen of live action in WW2 shows a soldier simply doubling over and falling gently to the ground after being shot. No dramatics, no spinning, no grimacing, no throwing his weapon. I was more shocked and moved by that simple motion than any movie "action" scenes ever concocted by Hollywood.

Silk, another forty yards
Or running from an explosion hitting shelter just as the boom goes by
Though I have to say in both True Grit movies Rooster shooting and missing the corn dodgers is more reminiscent of my own abilities

This is just for fun, I don't really lose sleep over it, but in addition to cartridge guns in Civil War-set movies, I get annoyed when some guy using a quill pen scratches out a major document in seconds, or drinks out of an obviously-empty cup. Another one is when a guy puts something in an envelope, licks it in a milli-second, and seals it so fast without checking to see if the glue "took". And when a guy using an actual percussion pistol fires 5 or 6 shots as fast as an semi-auto. Really bugs me: guys shooting the lock off of a door or strong box, at close range, and one shot miraculously breaks the hasp, with no eye protection on, or ricochet back. Especially when they insert a "kee-pew!" as if the bullet hit a rock or something. What bugs you?
A gunman with practice can indeed shoot a single action as fast as a semiauto. Bob Munden ring any bells?
I've shot several locks off over the years with no ill effects. These were all illegally placed locks on property where I was the manager.

When the characters pour a line of black powder on the ground as a makeshift fuse..., and then ignite it with a torch and it creeps along headed toward the barrels of powder.....,

Real life doesn't work that slow.....

LD
A friend and I got in trouble from his mom trying that out. We put about a pound of powder in a train in his basement to test it. It took around 10 seconds for the train to burn, and much less before we began to panic about all the smoke in the basement. Needless to say, his mom instructed us to never ever do that again.

A gunman with practice can indeed shoot a single action as fast as a semiauto. Bob Munden ring any bells?
I've shot several locks off over the years with no ill effects. These were all illegally placed locks on property where I was the manager.
I'm sure you must have taken a distance and aimed carefully; the movies & TV, the guys are right on top of the strongbox!

Everyone , especially the women , are tone and attractive with clean white straight teeth and good hair, because no ugly or ungroomed people existed in the past

Latest posts

Back