• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More Powder Horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For quite some time, when I don't feel like working on more involved projects, I have been knocking out a few powder horns. The work is relaxing and easy to stop and start. I make most horns assuming I will engrave them at some point but the engraving / scrimshaw work takes much more thought, planning and concentration. So I have been making horns and then putting them aside to wait for the spirit to move me to engrave. But then I realized that I have quite a pile of horns waiting for engraving (these are only a few) and that I might not live long enough to get them all done. So I started in on the only one of the group that is not mounted in sterling silver...

Translated from the Latin, the side with the crown reads, "Be Thou faithful unto death, and I will give Thee a crown of life" from the book of Revelation. The opposite side reads, "I will go to the altar of God, to God the joy of my youth". I did the scrimshaw work over the last Easter weekend, so the words all seemed appropriate. Now I need to come up with themes for all the other horns.....and get busy.

Back