• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More Brown Besses: Short & Carbine (Pedersoli)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoloDallas

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Since I really, really love Brown Besses (BBs), I had to get this additional one, though historically non-existent, rare or an hybrid: the "carbine".
Nevertheless, me not being a Re-enactor, I really love it.
I know I was curious to see how much the carbine would differ in length from the short pattern, so I took these photos of the two :)

They are identical, no differences in anything but length.

IMG_9972 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

IMG_9981 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

IMG_9982 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

So what are some of the dimensions?................watch yer top knot............

Yep, right:

short land pattern, 2nd model Brown Bess (Pedersoli's): total length is 57 11/16; barrel length is 41 3/4; weight is 9.03 (lbs)(producer specs)
carbine specs (Pedersoli's): total length 47 1/4; barrel length 30 1/2; weight is 7.93 (lbs).

Carbines were made, for cavelry,dragons( light & heavy ). They were usualy .65 cal. .Early ones had longer barrels though,They are usualy not included in bess books, seperate research will find them. Isnot that book the brown bess the best thing since sliced bread. :thumbsup:

Seems like shorty would be nice to carry in the woods!
Very nice! :hatsoff:
Dusty :wink:

Back