• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose Milk vs Moose Snot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protrucker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Which is better?
I've made up a good batch of Snot & have been using it, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off making up a batch of Moose Milk.

What do you use & why?

I've tried both, and I prefer the snot. It's a case of my prejudice and not a question of one working better than the other though. There's just something in the back of my mind that sezz a greasy feeling patch simply has to work better than one that doesn't feel greasy at all. But in fact the juice does work, too.

I tend to lube as I shoot rather than prelubing, so maybe that has something to do with it. The wet patch of juice just doesn't feel right when I'm going to leave a charge in a gun all day, but in fact the juice isn't intended to be used that way. Folks lube patches ahead of time and allow them to dry.

One more consideration for me as a field shooter lubing at the muzzle rather than a range rat- I don't like packing around a bottle of sloshing liquid in my bag. A little tin of snot gets me through a whole lot of shooting with less bulk and without sounding like the tide coming in every time I take a step.

My problem and no one elses, but there's a jug of juice that's been sitting on my shelf for two years now. Maybe I should try a few shots to test shelf stability of the stuff. It sure worked well as a fresh batch.

Ive been using the moose milk at the range and so far so good. I can shoot 10 shots without swabbing pretty easy and accuracy is good. it just seems a little thin to me and i dont know if i would use it to leave a load in the barrel all day while hunting. I use mink oil lube for that and have a lot left.
Even though i havent tried it looking at the ingredients of the snot I think it would be fine for hunting in cold weather.

:v I make & use both--I use the "snot" as a patch lube and milk for the bore wipe before and after a shot. Though my favorite is still real bear grease as a patch lube, I prefer the snot for the warmer months it doesn't get gooey in the warm months as the bear grease does, because I added more beeswax to get a stiffer consistency. Just another take on the scene that works for me. :v :thumbsup:

I like the "snot" best myself for patching. The milk/"juice" was originally intended to be a wiping and clean-up blackpowder solvent. Then I started playing with the "pre-lubed" patching.

I still use the snot for carrying in a tin and appling to patches as needed.

:hmm: I think one is a Liquid Lube and the other is a paste lube. Each has their purpose.
:v

Thanks, funny thing, the recipes are fairly close to a home made bag dressing I use to cook up for my bagpipes.

LOL! No kidding? That's a neat bit of information.

Any idea how long that recipe for the bagipie brew has been around?

I know all the ingredients were available in the pre-Revolution colonies but can't prove they were mixed together as a lube.

I have been using moose snot for patch lube also as leather dressing and a wood finish rub it in and wipe off the excess works better on leather if you mix in a little extra castor oil.

Latest posts

Back