• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MOHAWK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that's a pity.

NETFLIX isn't carried on my cable system W/O paying extra & our landlord won't allow "additions", as we are on a "bulk subscriber account". = Cable TV is included in our monthly rent.

I'll have to wait till it comes out on DVD & then buy a copy as I did POLDARK, ELIZABETH, THE CLOSER, MAJOR CRIMES & others.

yours, satx

Netflix isn't part of a cable package, it is an internet subscription service. In other words, if you have an internet connection (high speed or cable internet are best), you can get Netflix on your computer or internet-capable entertainment and (some) gaming systems. The last time I checked, it was $10.99/month.
www.netflix.com

Do yourself a favor - do NOT waste any money on Frontier...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll disagree that the truth isn't as flashy. The Revenant is a good example of taking a real story that has a lot of flash that could have been told about a man's perseverance and will to survive and is successful. Instead the makers insert a lot of fiction to portray a point of view and ruin the real story.

Doing a historical movie on any of the more famous mountain men could involve a lot of flash and still be historically close to their actual lives. Of course it would show them with their prejudices and warts along with their good qualities.

Modern politically correct standards wouldn't allow the warts and prejudices of the original people to be shown.

I've read dozens of old books about the old timers, printed in the days when they were alive.

The stories and descriptions in these books often use names and terms and descriptions that were in common use at the time but are no longer tolerated by people today.

Today, the movies can use the F word and other obscenities that would have gotten my mouth washed out with Lifeboy. In fact, I've seen many of them who's only claim to fame is they used those words more often than other, competing movies did. :(

Zonie said:
Modern politically correct standards wouldn't allow the warts and prejudices of the original people to be shown.

I've read dozens of old books about the old timers, printed in the days when they were alive.

The stories and descriptions in these books often use names and terms and descriptions that were in common use at the time but are no longer tolerated by people today.
I disagree - certain movies are self-censored, but I've seen many others that are not (Django Unchained comes to mind as it was recently on TV - politically incorrect dialog & situations, and plenty of them). Just depends on the studio and director(s).

I too have read a number of those books over the years and some of the more modern fiction about the era that doesn't polish over the day.

Now on the subject of soap, Lifeboy has nothing on Lava and the gritty aftertaste. You don't need to ask how I know and my mother isn't with us anymore to explain the reason.

My apologies: the series is named Frontiersmen, and is a 2018 series from Leonardo Dicaprio ...I am watching it on the History Channel here in Belgium... I have the feeling he just used the same props from the film The Revenant ...

Here in the USA, it was called The Men Who Made America. I watched the first 2 episodes and had enough of the inaccuracies...

Back