• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modifying a commercial Murdoch Scottish steel pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an updated pix...the flat brass stock will eventually be turned into a belt hook - I'm going to shallow score a line @ the bend(s), anneal it to soften it up, then bend it on a bench vise and file it down into the finished form. The trigger and pick balls were 7/8" threaded brass that I'm filing down. The brass ramrod will be more decorative than functional. The next major challenge/obstacle is extending the steel frame towards the front below the barrel - you can see the piece of mild steel that I have been filing down to the right of the zip-tie holding the barrel down - it will have to be brazed/welded on somehow, and that is beyond my ken...

Attachments

• RamshornProgress.21Feb2023.jpg
    RamshornProgress.21Feb2023.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
A couple comments . . .
The originals I have seen that are brass employ a brass stock but steel barrel/lock/vent etc. It would seem what you are doing is reversed. I am most curious about your trigger adaptation as TRS trigger works to engage the sear pulling backward as your piece involves a more "traditional" lock with sear and tumbler. Also the original sear comes thru the top of the stock where it is screwed and pinned rather than being held in place.

Gents, sorry for my delay in responding...
Nice pix, Auldjin, and in reply to Commodore Swab, there are example of the steel frame with brass barrels...the one I am using as my "template" is the Boswell pistol @ Malahide Castle in Dublin (if you have, or can access page 70 of "The Swords and the Sorrows", you will be able to view it - I'd be happy to post a pic from the book if anyone is interested). As for the internal sear unique to the original Scottish pistols, mine is just a cheapie Pakistani knock-off I purchased from Dixie Gun Works...however, if I'm not mistaken, I think that the "Rifle Shoppe" carries the Scottish ramshorn pistol kit with the true horizontal sear. As for fabricating the ball trigger and belt hook out of brass, it's just a choice I made to balance out the overall look using both steel and brass that may, or may not look good when finished.
I am hoping to post some updated pix that will show the progress of my modification project as soon as I can find time to meet with a local blacksmith who will provide the professional expertise in brazing the mild steel extension to the front of the stock.

Back