• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Modern Brown Bess musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have seen the replica Brown Bess muskets for sale at Cabelas but never looked close because of the price- nearly $1,000.00.
Today I went pawn shop crawling and spotted one. The clerk said they might deal on the price, maybe even down to $500.00 out the door.
I don't know a thing about smoothbore muskets. I have no idea if they are even good for just for fun shooting, or are more for re-enacting.
All I know is that it doesn't look beat up, is a flintlock, and probably kicks like a country mule.
If I decide I am interested what exactly should I look for, and look out for?
As for shooting it, how different is it from using a prb in a rifles muzzleloader?

Thanks,
Jim

If it is a Pedersoli and in good condition you better hurry and buy it if you can get it for $500. They are a lot of fun to shoot and you can shoot rd balls or shot in them. As long as the lock works right and the bore is not all rusty i would go for it. You won't find a better deal probably. And recoil is nil with normal charges.

A Pedersoli Brown Bess for $500.Run pepperbelly run. :grin:

As Rebel said, it's a very good price when the bore is bright and the lock works.

Once i had a Pedersoli BB.It was really fun to shoot it.I shot it with 70-80gr Swiss3(ffg).But for my friends i loaded it with 120gr. :haha:
Only to see their faces after they pull the trigger. :rotf:

So run pepperbelly run.
:hatsoff:

Still for 500 $$ if shes in good shape and the lock gives good fire, good buy!

Rob :hatsoff:

If it's a Pedersoli Bess, that is a very good price. My Bess is accurate enough that I have won some matches with it, even beat some rifles. The Bess is heavy enough that it doesn't kick all that much even with the 90 grains of 2F that I shoot. The Bess shoots a wide range of loads, round ball, buck and ball, buckshot, bird shot and does it well.

I have so much fun shooting the Bess that my rifle has been ignored for the last year or two.

Many Klatch

agreed with the above comments. A Pedersoli for 500.00 these days is a great price. At that if you didn't like it you could turn it over and possibly even make a dollar or two. Given that it's a pawn shop they may be happy to just get rid of it because they know nothing of flintlocks. If it's an Indian made Bess, 500.00 is to high. You can get a new one for not much more than that. Good luck.

I found a Pedersoli Bess for $500 a few months ago and did not have to think twice before I bought it....and I am very happy !!!!!!

What is written on the side of the barrel?

Is the lock marked Grice?

Get a bore light down that bore and check it out carefully before setting off a charge.

CS

I have 2 pedersoli BB and would not take $500 for either. To be exact I think I have one sold for $700 and that is a good low price. I love mine and if you re-enact they will fit most things from F&I up to CW or past.

Ronnie

And if you don't buy it how about posting the contact info for the pawn shop :grin: :grin: :grin:

I'm gonna think about it. I really wasn't looking for this- I have been wanting a longrifle. This musket would be great if I was into re-enacting.
If I decide to not buy it I will post where it is.

Jim

Jim,

In all seriousness, if you have your heart set on a longrifle then save your money and buy what you want. While 500.00 will not buy a custom rifle, it will get you the parts or get you on the list to have one built. Best of luck to you.

Tommy, it gets more complicated than that. I want to buy a TC 1 in 66" rb barrel for my TC Hawken.
I also need to buy another case of 5000 large pistol primers and another 2000 bullets. I shoot a .45acp in 2 different matches and load and go through a lot of ammo.
And I do want a flintlock longrifle.
I never should have stopped.

Jim

aghh To many guns and shooting hobbies, not enough time and money to enjoy them all. a most horrible curse with which most of us are afflicted with. I tried to do Cowboy Action Shooting and have a buddy that wants me to do military rifle shoots. CAS was a blast and the military shoots sound like a lot of fun but modern responsibilities put a sever damper on it. Now with gas above 3 bucks gallon and more than likely 4 by next summer the 18th century may get axed as well. You have a good gun with the T/C though.

I am going to have to pass on this musket. I really need a rb barrel, and a lot of other stuff more than another fun gun.
If anyone wants to check it out it's at the Cash Plus pawn shop on Rufe Snow in NRH. Their price tag is $799.00 but the clerk said they would probably deal on it. When I asked if they would go to $500.00 he asked if I meant plus tax or out the door. When I said out the door he didn't even blink and said they probably would.
I hate to pass on a deal, but it ain't the first and probably won't be the last.

Jim

I've got a Brown Bess that I picked up a few years back, when I first got into Colonial Living History. It's a 2nd. Model, but I don't know who made it...it was used for the Bi-Centennial, and it has been defarbed. In comparing it to a lot of the ones I see now, mine looks a little nicer...:)

It is also a tack driver. I paid $600 for it, and consider it to be money well spent. I consider $500 for a Brown Bess to be a very good deal. Still, I wish I had a Long Land Pattern Brown Bess........

I dunno. Maybe if I can find a buyer for a Savage 110 in .270 with a laminated stock I found a while back I might get it- if the $500.00 price holds and noone beats me to it.
I do need other stuff more, but I am a big time sucker for a bargain.
I gotta stop going into pawn shops when I need stuff! :grin:

Jim

Back